Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

re: Suicide Crisis Resources

Livingworks is a resource which provides suicide intervention training courses to health service individuals or anyone working in a situation where there may be a need to help someone contemplating suicide.

The courses are offered in Canada and in the U.S. as well as all over the world. Look at information on ASIST {Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training}

The Livingworks website also has useful and informative links to resources for people who feel they are at risk for suicide or are concerned about someone Click HERE.

Then look at the links at the top right of that page for Helplines and Crisis Centers in Canada, U.S. or International.

The National Institutes of Mental Health provides this site on frequently asked questions about Suicide.

The NIMH offers this advice for a person thinking about suicide:

If you are thinking about harming yourself or attempting suicide, tell someone who can help right away:

Call your doctor's office.
    Call 911 for emergency services.
    Go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
    Call the toll-free, 24-hour hotline of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) to be connected to a trained counselor at a suicide crisis center nearest you.
    Ask a family member or friend to help you make these calls or take you to the hospital.

IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY MEMBER OR FRIEND IN A CRISIS

If you have a family member or friend who is suicidal, do not leave him or her alone. Try to get the person to seek help immediately from an emergency room, physician, or mental health professional. Take seriously any comments about suicide or wishing to die. Even if you do not believe your family member or friend will actually attempt suicide, the person is clearly in distress and can benefit from your help in receiving mental health treatment

Suicide is not the only way out.
    Last edited by Steve; September 7th, 2006 at 05:38 PM. Reason: links
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Re: Suicide Resources U.K.

For people living in the U.K. the University of Manchester, Department of Psychiatry lists a number of resources to help if you are thinking about suicide.

Help in a crisis - University of Manchester

For sources of help for people in the U.K. living with self harm, and bereavement through suicide, see These Useful links
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope