Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real Life Friends vs Internet Friends

I've been wonder as to why I'm more popular in real life then on the internet. Is it common to say that your internet friends are better then your real life friends. Would you know the reason for this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Real Life Friends vs Internet Friends

i think that is completely dependent on the people involved and what their personalities are like. some people make very good, close friends on the internet. others do not. it depends on your comfort level speaking with strangers and how much you reveal of yourself. it depends on what the other person you are interacting with wishes to reveal of themselves. it's easier on the internet to pretend to be someone you are not. but i think that's about the only difference compared to real life.
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How come on some forums people treat me like crap and on others people treat me as a good person?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that depends on the type of people the forum attracts. i think it also depends on whether or not the forum is moderated. i haven't been to many forums but i've seen examples of both types.
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello, this is an interesting question. i've made close friends on line as well as in person, both take time. i personally wouldn't visit a website that made me feel 'like crap' or that didn' t have rules of respect such as those here.
    bbc has some good points when talking about how much your wiling to expose about yourself-the more open you are i think the more apt you might be to make friends.
    As always
    Rosa

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tails, it may also depend on how you come across on line. Some people can be much more aggressive online than in real life. Others simply are misunderstood because they don't exprfess themselves well or clearly in writing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi ST

Also, on the internet, the 'faceless' value of the communication often allows people to be more 'cruel' than they would ordinarily be. And as previously said, misinterpretations occur all of the time. For instance - a person not accustomed to using the internet may not be aware of certain evolved 'ettiquets' such as use of caps for yelling etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought I wasn't being misunderstood but I didn't think that my typing was respondable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at it this way

face to face communication is full of nuances that help a person gain meaning from what you are saying, i.e. tone of voice, volume, body language, facial expression. Even on the telephone we can go by tone of voice, speed of speech, volume, etc. When communicating on the computer, all a person has to go by are the words. Which is why subtle type-edits can help make a difference to certain things.

Eg. I am so excited
    I AM SO EXCITED

the second one kind of implies loudness... even punctuation can imply feeling, or lack their of. If someone isn't using punctuation, it could mean that their feeling, (anger, excitement, grief) is overwhelming them enough that bothering with the punctuation is too much like hard work.

As was said before - it all leads to misunderstandings which then lead to the negetive posts that you are receiving from others. Its probably not a reflection of your personality or anything like that at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I understand what you're saying ST. I don't think Interent friends are better than Real Life friends however, they're just different.

Learning how to chat in forums takes awhile. This is the first and only forum I've ever participated in and there has been a learning curve. It's so easy to be misinterpreted and to misinterpret.

It's nice to know that you have both real life and internet friends, it's good to have a balance. And maybe you just get more satisfaction out of your real life friends versus your online friends, which might be the reason you're more successful in real life friendships. Hope that makes sense.

Take care,

jm

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast