Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EMDR - Again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EMDR - Again!

Hey everyone,

I know this has been bantered around the site a bit, but I'm bringing it back in case anybody's experiences have changed.

I saw my therapist today and she brought up EMDR again - the last time was about six months ago. I was non-committal...I just don't feel comfortable with it, but yet, part of me is intrigued by it. I think mostly I'm afraid of doing it "wrong" and ending up looking or sounding like an idiot...is that possible?

I trust her completely and she did say I could stop at any time, she just wants me to try it...but I'd be interested in knowing if anybody has started/stopped since the last time this was discussed, and if so, what your experience was.

thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: EMDR - Again!

if i had a chance to do it i would jump at it. emdr sounds fascinating to me. unfortunately i don't have experience with it so i can't tell you. would it be an option to tell her your concerns?
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BG,

The first thing that I would want to know is whether she is actually trained in EMDR. I have done EMDR with two different therapists now and found out that one was trained and had the credentials and one was not and to be honest there was a big difference. If you go on this website you can find out if she is qualified http://www.emdr.com/clinic.htm.

There are also a few other threads on here about EMDR that you may want to revisit to refresh your memory about EMDR and the process. It can be helpful if you are working with a really good trained therapist that you trust.

Here are the other threads:

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/showthrea...highlight=EMDR

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/showthrea...highlight=EMDR

Also, BG if you want to know anything specific about my experiences, you can pm me.

Take care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys.

Nancy - she is level II trained - my last psych wanted to do it but I don't think he even had level I. I could be wrong, but that was my impression. My current psych is very experienced in it and I do trust her...maybe the idea will grow on me.

BBC - yup it's definitely an option to tell her my concerns, and I definitely will. I just wanted to do some more research before I decided if my concerns from six months ago still exist. I think they do, and yeah - I'll definitely tell her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BG

That is good to hear that she is trained and that you trust her. Trust is a huge factor when doing EMDR.

I think that if you talk to her about your concerns and then maybe have her explain to you exactly what is going to happen in every detail so that you can get an idea of what EMDR for you specifically is going to entail that it might help to ease your fears of doing it wrong or looking like an idiot.

Has she explained at all what is going to happen and also what apparatices she uses? Earphones, hand buzzers etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please keep us posted! I'll be interested to hear as you learn more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll definitely keep you guys posted. I know she uses I think she said they are like two hand-held prongs...I dunno...the mystery of it all is what scares me. I was thinking about it this morning in bed and I'm willing to explore the idea with her as a start, but I'm not committing to actually doing it yet. I don't see her til next Friday so I guess we'll talk more about it then. My normal strategy is to not bring it up and hope she doesn't either but I'm kind of tempted to at least talk about it with her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BG

I have used the hand-held prongs many times even times when I wasn't doing EMDR as I found them to help ease my anxiety when I was in my therapists office. Do you know what she uses for the eye movements like her hand or fingers?

As I said before, I have been through a lot of EMDR and have a lot of personal information that I could share with you especially if you have questions that may help you with things that you may want to ask your therapist next time you see her to help ease your fears. You can always PM me if you like.

If you choose to try it, do keep us informed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Nancy.

I will admit it's been consuming my thoughts - I go between "forget it" to "I'm really tempted to at least try"...so I think the logical next step is to talk to her on Friday about my fears and see where we go from there.

She was practically pleading with me to try it (in a good way - no pressure though) which leads me to believe that she really believes it can help, and since I do trust her, I'm tempted to. And I like that she phrased it as doing it "with" her...that word and how she phrased it made a huge difference than if she had said to do it "for" her or anything else. Just the way she said it, I feel like we'd be doing it together, and she wouldn't be doing it "to" me...know what I mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it is like when you are working with a therapist on an issue as opposed to feeling like you are working by yourself with them just sitting there and nodding in agreement. Sort of the same thing. Or as my bosses at work always say I don't work for them I work with them.

BG, to be quite honest I think that once you talk to her about your fears and maybe what is going to exactly happen from beginning to end (of one complete session of EMDR) then you have absolutely nothing to lose by trying it. If it works great then you will benefit from it, if not well at least it is an avenue that you have tried but if you don't try it then you may always wonder what if EMDR could have worked for you? I know that is what I thought and I never wanted to wonder what if?

Again, it is your decision but at least you are entertaining the idea which is great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast