Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Marijuana A Dangerous Drug?

Is marijuana a dangerous drug? Please discuss.

You may wish to consider these points in the discussion:
    - The molecular events through which marijuana acts
    - Changes to the brain and behaviour as a result of marijuana use
    - Medical uses of marijuana

Just being inquisitive... lolx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is Marijuana A Dangerous Drug?

K

I will be interested to see what others write about this topic. It seems that there is increasing evidence that drugs and alcohol actually affect the chemical structure of the brain and also these changes can be viewed by imaging techniques. Historically I believe that psychology has believed that particular personality types are more likely to use drugs and that their bad behaviour is due to the disinhibiting effects of the drugs (and alcohol) ie the real self is coming out (psychopaths are big drug users). AA seems to believe that the alcohol causes the bad behaviour and that some people have a predisposition to addiction. They believe it is a disease. And there are many addiction groups now NA OA etc.The answers are probably more complex than either view. Yes Psychopaths and other PD's use for stimulation but there are also people that use to reduce stress. If the drugs affect the structure of the brain then you could expect some out of the ordinary behaviour even if they are from the users for stress group. One thing I am certain of is that if you use any mind altering substances in large quantities it is not going to be pretty. I have read evidence that young users of marijuana have a huge increased risk for mental illness later in life. I just cannot believe that regular use of a mind altering hallucinogenics can be good for anyone.

Will be interested to see other views

Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know the medical side of its use but I do know it's effect on me personally. I suffer from Panic Disorder/Generalized Anxiety/Agoraphobia and the first two panic attacks I suffered were immediately following the inhalation of marjiuanna and..in both cases, it wasn't pretty. Many years later, I discovered that many people with a similar condition cannot smoke this stuff because of the way it changes our bodies chemically. I was astonished to see the link but I know personally, there is no way I would ever do it again. Both of those incidents of panic were some of the worst that I have ever had and believe me when I say, I've had many terrible ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serenity,

I just wanted to say that a friend of mine had a very similar experience to yours and never touched the stuff again. It came out of the blue after smoking for about 2 years. Why it happened that day we will never know but it definitely affected her differently than it did me. She still suffers from Panic Disorder and GAD but her Agoraphobia has gotten better over time. For about 4 years after that day she didn't leave her house.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that it happened to a frienf of mine too and that you are not alone.

Take care

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity
    the first two panic attacks I suffered were immediately following the inhalation of marjiuanna
    You might be surprised (or maybe not) to find out how common that is.

Beyond the changes in brain chemistry (and if those didn't occur, you wouldn't feel high, so don't kid yourself about them not occurring), with marijuana you also have to worry about the toxic effect on your lungs, which is probably more severe than tobacco because of the way it is smoked.

... and that is without even raising the topic of junk that dealers add in to jazz up the weed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any drug is dangerous when misused. It's really that simple. If it messes with your body chemistry, it's liable to do damage. Even the best drugs we have to fight various diseases cause side-effects that can be problematic if not monitored. Then, there are the ideosyncratic effects of drugs on individual people. Not everyone is alike, and not everyone reacts the same way to changes in body chemistry.

Let's face it. Aspirin is dangerous if misused, and using something for the purpose of experiencing feelings that are not natural to you, or to your current situation, is misusing that something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what ThatLady said hits the nail on the head. One man's meat is another man's poison, and also the motive for using the drug needs to be taken into consideration. In my case, I would probably fall into the camp of having anxiety increased after smoking pot. The last two times I did so, I took one hit, each time at a party, and each time I fell prey to the same paranoia: that all of a sudden, all of the Internet trolls were lurking outside the windows, having tracked me down in real life, with some kind of malintent. It was really scary.

One of those times was approximately a year ago (true confessions!) and the other time about a year before that. Now that I recall, the same thing happened about a year before that, for the same reason. I might be spending too much time looking at trolls, but it doesn't seem particularly logical for me to smoke marijuana again and expect to have a good experience.

But that's just me. Kids have told me that in their generation, marijuana is not even regarded as a drug, and I've seen them go to work and back on it and not bat an eye. I can't do that, and never could.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I smoke it and I studied its affects for a very long time before trying it. For extensive information on it, go to www.erowid.com they have alot of info on alot of different drugs.

The short version is basically that in the brain there are receptors built to utilize thc that enters the body. Theyre called cannabinoid receptors. They are linked to the nervous system, and the periphery glands. Thus, when you smoke weed, these nerves and hormones associated, will in turn, be affected. These range from everything from your muscle coordination, on a small scale, or to affecting your seratonin, which is what causes you to habitually smoke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed that alcoholics and drug users can be very nasty and self centred. Do you think this is the drug or the person. Does anyone have experience of that or know people that there personality changes that way or was it their own personality coming through??

I will look at that link it sounds interesting

Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In general not really, But it has the potential to be dangerous.

This lies in the person using the drug, if they disrespect it and use it for the wrong reasons it can be dangerous.

If people use it for example to lift thier mood, i think they can become dependant on it. Also every substance needs to be respected. Many of my past friends smoke Cannabis EVERY day and have for years. Even though it is natural and generally safe id be surprised if this level of usage didnt cause any changes in the brain.

I know the way it acts in the brain is it mimics a Chemical that is released in feedback to downregulate activity of a Neurotransmitter. So it artificially downregulates a system. Too much of this can Increase dopamine levels i believe, which can lead to negative psychological effects.

In general drugs that mimic activity of natural chemicals, like this one are safer then other psychoactive drugs though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast