Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Older may mean happier

From another article in the New York Times:
    Dr. Isaacowitz found in another study that older people were twice as likely as younger ones to be “rapid regulators” — people whose mood bounced back quickly, sometimes within minutes, after ruminating on depressing memories.

“We have found in general that older people tend to regulate their emotions faster, and are not as motivated to explore negative information, to engage negative images, as younger people are,” Dr. Isaacowitz said. “And it makes some sense, that younger adults would explore the negative side of things, that they need to and maybe want to experience them — to experience life — as they develop their own strategies to regulate.”

Socially speaking, in short, the ability to shrug off feelings of disgust or outrage may suit an older group but strike younger people as inauthentic, even callous.

The Benefits of Blowing Your Top - NYTimes.com

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The interesting thing about anxiety is that it becomes less of a problem as you get older, so people do, really, 'mellow out' with time. This applies not just to anxiety, but to the kind of depressions that often go with anxiety..."

Anxiety: Your Questions Answered by Trevor Turner MD, FRCPsych

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Something a little more scientific than quoting Jennifer Lopez:
    What's more scientific than J-Lo?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quoting J-Lo when she's peer reviewed on Oprah

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The hardest years in life are those between ten and seventy."

~ Helen Hayes

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happiness: Study of happiness is great, but why am I still bummed out? - latimes.com

...Still more studies are examining the relationship between age and happiness. They have found, perhaps counterintuitively, that people tend to get happier after 50.

Summarizing the research recently in Slate, writer Libby Copeland said it suggests that happiness is a matter of managing expectations, something that's easier to do as we get older.

"As we age, it appears, we aspire to moderation rather than thrills, we notice the silver lining, we temper our highs and lows, and we seek fulfillment in the moment," she writes.

I guess that's good news for me, since I'm not that far away from the half-century mark. It's nice to have something to look forward to other than ear hair and wrinkles...

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why Your Late Twenties Is the Worst Time of Your Life
    Harvard Business Review

...The change that occurs after the quarter-life crisis is attributable to a set of skills we acquire: we learn to develop psychological mastery and to regulate and attenuate our emotions, or to dismiss them instead of dwelling and allowing emotions to take over. As we age, we learn to put things in perspective, believe in ourselves more, and realize that the emotions that sometimes pierce our chests are temporary and do not have to consume us. Psychological aging is a positive process in which older equals better. That should reassure twentysomethings who are currently feeling stressed out or lost, and help their elders remember what it was like — really like — to be young.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand this thread at all...I was happiest at 16-17-18 and if I could go back to these years, I would do it in a heartbeat. Something is wrong with Jennifer Lopez; though in her case after multiple plastic surgeries she finally looked well at 40, hmm not a fan. I watched her teenage years appearances and could not recognize her at all, plastic surgery really does wonders if your rich.
    Anyway, I know that I am not going to look better at 40 than at 18, so ... the comparison is not appropriate. In fact, I have lost all my looks long before 40, lol. Yeah, tell me about Jennifer Lopez.

---------- Post Merged at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:50 PM ----------

The more I approach 40, the more I think that I would rather be in jeans on a street car, kissing with my boyfriend, than on Sandals in a "nice" dress to hide most parts of my body, drinking junk alcohol and noticing everything and everyone. I don't see anything that amazing in getting older; other than the fact that nothing brings me joy, sorry for the rant.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast