Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When therapy goes stagnant...

Since Christmas my therapy sessions have all but ended...I'm still going every week, but we are both at a loss for what to do. We were on a roll and things were happening, and then they just kind of stagnated and lately nothing is happening. We attribute it to a few things...me being crazy busy with my new job, us not being able to do Theraplay (the second therapist isn't available anymore, and we can't find someone else)...so I'm trying to decide what to do. I don't want to stop altogether, but I'm not big on the idea of paying for nothing...we're going to try every second week instead of every week and see how that goes. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what strategy did you take? I'm at a loss. I really feel like we've done nothing for the past month, and it's frustrating.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: When therapy goes stagnant...

. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what strategy did you take? I'm at a loss.
    Yes, but it's mostly related to me getting better. Typically, I go from weekly sessions to biweekly sessions to "see you when I relapse."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Daniel. That's kind of what I'm thinking...I think I just don't need it to the extent that I used to, which is a good thing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Yes, but it's mostly related to me getting better. Typically, I go from weekly sessions to biweekly sessions to "see you when I relapse."
    i was just wondering something Daniel, if you don't mind me asking. When you relapse, does there seems to be any kind of pattern for you? For example, does it happen pretty quickly? Does it happen after a certain amount of time has passed? What do you find are first signs?

if you'd rather not share, that's ok
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I think therapy is kinda like weight loss programs. Sometimes, you just reach a plateau and things slow down. Yet, even during these times things are happening beneath the surface. Changes are taking place, they're just not as openly recognizable. I'd give it some time, if I were you. Use the interim time to talk about little things, and to work on daily problems that might arise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BG,

In your post you said that you are crazy busy with your new job and I was wondering if because you are so busy that you haven't really had the time to stop and think about what you are feeling and experiencing and therefore do not know what you want/need to be focusing on in therapy.

I know sometimes when I am really busy with things at work it occupies so much of my mind that when I do come to my therapy time that I almost feel blank and unsure of what to say because I have not let my brain think of what I want to focus on.

Just a thought but either way, I think what TL said makes sense about taking some time.

Take care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Nancy,

Yup we both know that because I've been so stupid busy I haven't had time to think about anything...we both know that if I was at my old job we'd have LOTS to deal with...it's just weird showing up week after week saying "nope, nothing to talk about today"...and frustrating. Oh well.

TL - I like your analogy. It makes alot of sense!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BG,

I am glad that you realize that it may have become stagnant because of being crazy busy and yes I know it is frustrating to not feel like you have anything to talk about. One suggestion that I would like to offer to you which seems to have helped me is taking some time to debrief between work and my therapy appointments to try to clear my mind of my work and refocus on my therapy issues and what I may want to discuss. It seems to work for me. Normally I just sit in my car in the parking lot of my therapists building with a coffee and review my week, my thoughts and feelings and see what pops up and I usually feel a pull in specific direction which helps to know what to talk about. Other times I just go in and talk about "whatever" with no specific agenda and that is okay too....keeping it light is how I refer to it.

Either way, enjoy the sessions of "keeping it light" if that is what you are doing and see where this journey takes you.

Take care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I experienced the stagnation as well and stopped going to therapy because, well, it really was expensive and the worst of my problems were behind me and I was no longer as depressed or requiring medication.

However, I feel incredibly secure in the knowledge that my therapist is still practicing and I can go back to her at any time. I have gone back twice for brief periods when I have felt the need.

Quite frankly, if therapy was free I would gladly go every week for the rest of my life! It is incredibly unfortunate that finances have to come into play in our decisions. My own insurance only covers 20 appointments per year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HI Qgirl,

It is unfortunate that finances have to come in to play, however, as I keep telling myself, therapists have to eat too In a sense I'm glad I don't seem to have much going on. For me, it has been a sign of healing and that I am progressing. I certainly don't want to be dependant on therapy for life, however, it is comforting to know that my therapist is available as needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast