Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firefox Browser??

Do you use Firefox as your browser? If so, do you find it satisfactory? Is it compatible with all websites and/or forum software?

Why is Firefox preferable to Internet Explorer?

I am considering switching to FF and would appreciate further insights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Firefox Browser??

i use it and am quite happy with it. i occasionally run into websites that are designed for IE and the layout gets messed up a bit, or javascript doesn't work as intended. if i really want to view a site like that, i open it up in IE.

i like that i can block advertisements in firefox. not sure if that is a feature in IE.
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why is Firefox preferable to Internet Explorer?
    Because my eyes are geting old. The text zoom feature is better implemented in FireFox than IE7. Also, IE doesn't allow for plugins, like mouseless browsing in Firefox.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because my eyes are geting old
    A good reason for me to consider FF as well

Ladybug,

According to another discussion I'm following on this topic:

FF will work with all web sites that are written to the HTML standards. It may fail on pages that are written specifically for IE, but there is an extension called IE Tab that lets you load those pages in a FF tab using the IE renderer.
    Further here is an announcement from Mozilla I picked up in my research:

As part of Mozilla Corporation?s ongoing stability and security update process, Firefox 1.5.0.10 and Firefox 2.0.0.2 are now available for Windows, Mac, and Linux for free download from getfirefox.com.

Due to the security fixes, we strongly recommend that all Firefox users upgrade to these latest releases.

Note: Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until April 24, 2007. All users are encouraged to upgrade to Firefox 2. Firefox 1.5.0.10 is available for download from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all-older.html.

If you already have Firefox 1.5.0.x or Firefox 2.0.0.x, you will receive an automated update notification within 24 to 48 hours. This update can also be applied manually by selecting ?Check for Updates?? from the Help menu starting later today.

For a list of changes and more information, please review the Firefox 1.5.0.10 Release Notes and the Firefox 2.0.0.2 Release Notes.
    Last edited by Retired; February 23rd, 2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added info

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find Firefox slow to load and slow to browse on my system.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Because my eyes are geting old. The text zoom feature is better implemented in FireFox than IE7.
    Odd. When I need it, I find the IE7 zoom feature works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Also, IE doesn't allow for plugins, like mouseless browsing in Firefox.
    IE7 does allow for plugins and the number is increasing. See http://www.ieaddons.com/default.aspx?cid=home&scid=0 and http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/ .

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When I need it, I find the IE7 zoom feature works very well.
    I'm using IE7 under Vista, and that may explain the different user experience.
    For text, IE7 under Vista is subpar compared to FireFox since horizontal scrolling is often required to see a line of text.
    However, the reverse is true for images/graphics with IE7, at least under Vista, with IE7 zooming images along with text with FireFox only zooming text.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daniel,

Did you install Vista on an existing system as a upgrade or did it come with a new system?

If it was an upgrade installation, how did the upgrade go? Any problems running XP software?

What's your overall assessment of Vista compared to XP?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I did a new installation of Vista "Home Premium," so everything was fresh. (The "Home Basic" version lacks too many features.)

For the most part, I haven't had problems installing software. However, I haven't been able to install a couple freeware/shareware programs, so I just don't use them and wait for the publisher to make a Vista version.

I was a beta tester for Vista, so I already had upgraded my memory to almost a gigabyte of memory.

Regarding XP vs. Vista, I like Vista more because it's prettier with better graphics -- and that's mostly it. I woudn't have done the installation as quickly if I didn't have academic pricing. (I bought the upgrade DVD for like $68.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    I find Firefox slow to load and slow to browse on my system .

I have the same problem with it, to be honest I dont like it, people speak highly of it I can take it or leave it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wonder why firefox is slow for you. it might be an issue with your overall setup?

i think in the end it doesn't matter any more these days which browser you have. in the early days it made a difference but today i think they each probably are just as good, with slight differences in features.
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast