Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DOING the hard work!

This is part of what my therapist told me the last time I spoke with him... I need to do the hard work.. I said, well, what does that mean? Is it something I should be "thinking" about? Is that the hard work?
    I need to stop negative thinking and keep a gratitude journal (which I am finding hard to do!). Is THAT the hard work? I mean, ok, it takes an effort to catch myself and say ok, that was negative, so let me turn it around and say something positive.But what is really "the hard work"? I guess I just dont understand really... I will see my therapist again tomorrow evening and I am kinda nervous, because I feel like I am not going to measure up. He was sort of angry with me last week on the phone...

What does it mean to you when you are in therapy, and they say you need to do the hard work? What is your hard work?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: DOING the hard work!

He was sort of angry with me last week on the phone...
    Why was he angry? Or why do you think he was angry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was angry, and I could tell from his tone of voice.. He said I was not doing the work, but I am confused as to what the "work" is. He dosent get "angry" or frustrated with me a lot, but when he does, I know about it.

He told me to write things down, because I forget things, and I told him I was writing things down, as we were talking..

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm... it seems to me that this is the first thing you need to talk about tomorrow. Tell him that you don't understand - why he was angry or what "the work" is.

Ask him to write it down for you - or take a notepad and make notes during the session to help you remember.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, Dr B... I am taking a notepad with me, and will ask the question you mentioned. At least this will show him I WANT to do what he asks of me, I just dont quite know what that entails... Does that make me stupid?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not at all, Sunset.

I have several clients who take notes. I also have a several who bring notes - sort of agenda or a list of questions or items they don't want to forget about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dr B! I will let you know how it goes... :dimples:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunset,

I just wanted to let you know that I often will email my psych before an appt (and if email was not avail I would bring a list) of things that I want to discuss in my session. I have also told him that I need time at the end of a session to recap what it is that I need to focus on and do in the upcoming week. I don't take notes but doing this recap helps me with knowing what is expected.

Good luck with your session tomorrow and bring a notepad sounds like a good idea to me.

Take care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Halo! So... You actually walk away from a session with "things to do"? Just curious, do you have something to do each week, and is that how most therapists operate?
    Last edited by Halo; March 4th, 2008 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunset...I would be confused to of what he means by hard work...To me, going into a session and going over painful stuff is hard work...guess his meaning is flying over my head...(Heh, that happens often)....RIMH
    Last edited by Halo; March 4th, 2008 at 02:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast