Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Is Laughter the Best Medicine?

Does laughter really have therapeutic effects? We've heard for years that laughter is the best medicine, but is is it just an old wives tale?

I've watched stuff on TV that is supposed to be funny, but could not bring myself to laugh, yet when one of my friends begins laughing, I can't hold back joining in.

Is laughing hard wired in us or is it learned?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is Laughter the Best Medicine?

i think laughter has to be built in. i vaguely remember something about a person who was blind and deaf who smiled just like the rest of us and the conclusion was that this was not learned behaviour because this person could not see or hear.

i believe in laughter being a medicine. when something very funny happens i can feel myself feeling better. the best is when i can't stop laughing - doesn't happen often but when it does it's really very freeing
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I laugh at things on the radio in the car, things I see while driving, things I think about in the shower, jokes I tell myself... all of which occur with no one else around...

But then, despite what my kids say, I am really, really funny...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Does laughter really have therapeutic effects? We've heard for years that laughter is the best medicine, but is is it just an old wives tale?
    Certainly, the ability to be humored is limited in severe cases of depression (people don't call 1-800-SUICIDE to listen to jokes), so I would say that distraction or stimulation can be the best medicine with humor being one method of distraction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think laughter is very therapeutic, I always feel better when Ive had a laugh, I find it better laughing with someone at something, a tv programme or whatever, laughing alone is ok too but its better shared Its good to laugh at yourself too it sort of releases stuff,the best laughter is the spontaneous sort that comes from somewhere inside of you and takes over your whole body, that does really make me feel good this smiley makes me laugh!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think laughter is very therapeudic! When 9/11 happened the only thing that got me laughing was watching episodes of "Everyone Loves Raymond". For that half hour, I was able to decompress and laugh a little. Wasnt very easy at the time either, and that show, because I find it so funny, helped me soo much!
    I laugh at myself when I do something stupid or silly, and I try to find humor in things. Like my cousin said, "Dont take life so seriously, its not permanent".

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think laughing and humor are wonderful.

I laughed more in the hospital than I have in a long time. Some of the people there were SOO funny. Great people.

And we laughed at ourselves too which I think is good.

It really does make me feel better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    But then, despite what my kids say, I am really, really funny...
    well it must be true because this statement made me laugh
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I laughed more in the hospital than I have in a long time. Some of the people there were SOO funny.
    i think you really needed that. i am glad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I laugh my face hurts [I call it my chuckle muscles! lol] because it doesn't happen that often. When it does I usually can't talk or eat or whatever for a while afterwards..!!! My flatmate and I were laughing like anything over dinner once, and her husband [my other flatmate] didn't get it. I forget what we were laughing over, lol!
    Yes, it helps, its a release.

On the other hand, most of my dissociated/other selves/parts have no sense of humour. When you've been laughed AT for all your schooling, the capacity to have fun kind of gets dulled.
    But me, I have a sense of humour. A quirky one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast