Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty sure I am having a panic problem today!

Hi All,

My therapist is a great guy, and is helping me find another job. He called me last night with a lawyers number, who may be looking for help. I took the number, thanked my T, and for the next hour, worked up the courage to call this guy..My heart was pounding and I was getting nauseous..
    I did some self talking and said the worst that can happen is I dont get the job, OR I actually get the job, and fail at it!

Well, I forced myself to call him, and we spoke for a minute and he said he would have to call me today as he couldnt talk then.. Ok. I gave him my cell number, and I have it sitting on my desk along with a notepad, pen, and my car keys. When he calls, I cant talk from my desk about another job, so my plan is to run outside to my car to talk to him. Besides that my phone cuts people off in here, and I dont want that to happen!!

So, I am sitting here actually shaking. I am nauseous and have trouble taking in a deep breath... I think this probably qualifies as a panic attack.

Any suggestions for me to how to deal with this? I havent interviewed in a long time, so I am nervous I will say the wrong thing, or worse, freeze up and cant say anything at all.
    I know some nerves are normal, but this is ridiculous... Im scared!

I know I lack confidence and I certainly dont want to portray that over the phone...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I am pretty sure I am having a panic problem today!

Sunset,

I just went through almost the exact same thing right down to the cell phone on the desk waiting for the call and having to run away from my desk so nobody hears me...this is totally like deja vu for me. The first and most important thing that I can tell you about being nervous and not wanting to portray that over the phone is to be honest and be yourself. I was the same. I was very upfront with the people I spoke to about how I had not been on any interviews and even told them that I was nervous and I just really tried to act as myself. I figured if they liked me acting as myself then I would get along well there.

I know it is stressful and the adreneline is pumping and I am sure when that call comes through your heart is going to feel like it has jumped out of your body....I remember it. Do remember to keep breathing....it is important.

Take care and I am here if you want to talk.
    Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx Nancy.. I am looking at the phone like its evil! This waiting is awful, but not much I can do about it. I am going to take your advice and just be myself. I am what I am, and if I get the job, I will do my best.
    If not, it probably wasnt meant to be.

And, yeah, when that phone rings I know I will be jumping out of my skin...

Please ring.. I want to get this over with!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohhh, that sounds hard. I am thinking of you. I get really nervous waiting for the phone to ring too. There are some exercises to help with anxiety here:

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=21

The ones that are stickies are pretty useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very helpful Janet. Thx.. Now why didnt I think to look at this before?

STILL no call. I am trying to be patient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

STILL no call. I am trying to be patient.
    If you are waiting for a return call from a lawyer, you most definitely have to be patient....trust me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    If you are waiting for a return call from a lawyer, you most definitely have to be patient....trust me
    You know, that thought crossed my mind. He is going to call me when its the worst possible time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably.....lawyers sense of timing is not always the best unless their assistants remind them otherwise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Probably.....lawyers sense of timing is not always the best unless their assistants remind them otherwise
    Do you happen to have experience with this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm......Just a little

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast