Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obsessions and compulsions change?

I was thinking today while I was loading the dishwasher how I used to be compulsive about it. Everything, spoons, forks, knives, had to be a certain way and how now it's just kind of thrown in there. Somehow along the way I gave up that compulsion without even realizing it, but new ones have taken its place, such as curtain straightening and this thing about pillows and so many other obsessions and compulsions.

Is this common with OCD, that the obsessions and compulsions kind of mutate or change? This is why I'm wondering if I even have OCD because it doesn't seem like the worry focuses on any one particular thing over a long period of time. If that makes any sense? The compulsion to harm myself remains about the same though.

I hope this makes sense.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Obsessions and compulsions change?

Is this common with OCD, that the obsessions and compulsions kind of mutate or change?
    Yes, at least that was the case with me. That's also what made it difficult because once I got enough reassurance about one thing, something else could bother me.

BTW, as discussed in the book Man, Interrupted: Welcome to the Bizare World of OCD, Where Once More is Never Enough, when the author with OCD checks into the psych facility for rehabilitation, the staff skillfully refuses to provide reassurance since the patient needs to learn to live with uncertainty/doubt.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. It's very common. It's one of my objections to the accepted wisdom of using response prevention strategies for treating OCD. You eliminate one ritual but, unless you deal with what's actually driving the rituals, another will pop up to take its place.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically, you have to learn to tolerate distress in a healthy way. Or something like that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not so much tolerate it... but understand it and demystify it. There's no magic to your OCD thoughts. Everybody worries. People with OCD worry in an obsessive way. And they often ascribe magical or predictive properties to the obsessive thoughts - "If I'm worrying about this, it mist mean that it's going to hapopen". But they are really just worries - nothing more.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if you don't worry about something, then you worry that you're not worrying about it. And on and on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's one of my objections to the accepted wisdom of using response prevention strategies for treating OCD. You eliminate one ritual but, unless you deal with what's actually driving the rituals, another will pop up to take its place
    I would agree with that, but at the same time I think that sometimes using that behaviroal strategy and taking the first step of preventing the ritual can sometimes lead to the initial realization that there are no magical powers behind the thinking.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like I'm in the wrong type of therapy then. Or we're going about all of this wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

something to bring up in therapy?
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it's all wrong. Or I'm doing it all wrong. I could never bring that up in therapy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast