Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Postpartum mental health issues category???

Hi David,

I did asearch for "postpartum depression" and came up with nothing.

Since postpartum, and other "female hormonal events" can trigger all sorts of depressions and things, I think it would be greatly beneficial to have categories for them???

Starting menses, pms type stuff, pregnancy/childbirth/postpartum, peri-menopause and menopause ... all very hormonal and vulnerable times for women.

I know that for myself and many other women that these times in their lives can triggermany "mental health issues" from many directions. POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION very important.

(sorry if you have this already covered in the forumand I missed it)
    :)
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Re: Postpartum mental health issues category???

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadiana
    I know that for myself and many other women that these times in their lives can triggermany "mental health issues" from many directions. POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION very important.
    I agree. I went through terrible postpartum depression with both of my children. To the point where I just couldn't deal with anything.

And as for PMS, holy cow. I couldn't get more wacked out than a day or two before my period starts. It's awful.

Hmmm...

Well, first, the "search" routine for the phpBB forum software is pretty crummy - I think I'll change that to a site-wide search as soon as I get a chance. There actually are some posts about that topic but phpBB Search isn't finding them: Try http://www.psychlinks.ca/psychlogo.gif%3BLH:74%3BLW:605%3BAH:left%3BS:http://www.psychlinks.ca/pages/index1.htm%3B&domains=www.psychlinks.ca&sitesearch =www.psychlinks.ca&q=postpartum+depression&spell=1]this search for postpartum depression[/url] or this search for post-partum depression instead and you'll see what I mean. This format would probably be a better alternative for finding specific information but it won't let you search for all articles by a specific author.

Second, as for the new forum topic, until now I've been putting those articles under depression, or pregnancy and childbirth, or relationships, etc. If we add a new topic, what would be the best way to do this? Post-partum issues? Hormonal (endocrine system) issues? The latter would be more general...

I've just modified the "Search" page for PsychLinks Online.

This basically is the same customized Google search engine that is used by the main PsychLinks website, so it will return results not only from the forum but also from the main website.

If anyone finds this awkward or confusing, please let me know. I do think it returns better results for searches than the original built-in forum search.

Hi Ash, I'm really sorry to hear you went through the postpartum problems and have absolute empathy for you :( I went through it severe after pregnancy and childbirth. Prolonged. I know how it hurts and how frustrating it is.

I also find that when I scan my history, my most vulnerable and WORST times were connected to "female hormonal shifts"...all the cycles and phases through the years, right up to menopause. I mention any of this stuff, not to tell my stories, but because I'm not alone in these ... many MANY women can have severe mental health reactions at these times. Many women don't realize their mental health issues are directly triggered, perhaps even created by "hormonal events" (as I've heard them called) 2 levels activ ... body/mind setting each other off perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter
    Hmmm..

Second, as for the new forum topic, until now I've been putting those articles under depression, or pregnancy and childbirth, or relationships, etc. If we add a new topic, what would be the best way to do this? Post-partum issues? Hormonal (endocrine system) issues? The latter would be more general...
    Hi David, thank you for your response:)

If this were my forum, I'd have a "stands alone" category just for these cycles that are specifically FEMALE issues. I'd just add a whole new category and call it something like;

"Female Cycles & Mental Health Issues"

I'd post info for things ike:

a) Female Cycles are Vulnerable Psychological times
    1) Starting Menses
    2) PMS
    3) Post Partum/Post Pregnancy, Depression
    4) Severe Post partum Reactions (psychosis etc)
    5) Peri-menopause
    6) Menopause

Many Mom's specially, out there are going through hell on every level because this stuff can really mess with their parenting and with their relationships and lives, exacerbating and creating new problems and issues that adds and complicates everything. No wonder women canbecome "overwhelmed"

I know that in my own case, postpartum time triggered post traumatic symptoms as well as just normal memories and anxieties about parenting etc.

Women are powerful? yep. Hormones will do it! grin It sure the heck isn't funny while happening.

Anyways ... the categories thing, that'smy 2 cents worth. I think women will hone right in and get directly to that category if they can see it and many are probably looking for info about it.

Be well :)
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Okay: My general theory about forum topics is that it's better to start off with a more general topic and then split more active topics into sub-topics than to start off with topics that are too specific for what the members want to discuss.

Thus, I've created a new topic: Hormones and Mental Health.

See what you think - if it's too general, I could split it or if it's too specific for what you had inb mind I could always add a second topic called "Women and Mental Health" or something (although that would overlap I think with a few other topics here).

Play with it for a while and we'll see how it develops.

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter
    Okay: My general theory about forum topics is that it's better to start off with a more general topic and then split more active topics into sub-topics than to start off with topics that are too specific for what the members want to discuss.

Thus, I've created a new topic: Hormones and Mental Health.

See what you think - if it's too general, I could split it or if it's too specific for what you had inb mind I could always add a second topic called "Women and Mental Health" or something (although that would overlap I think with a few other topics here).

Play with it for a while and we'll see how it develops.
    Awsome and sounds great. You know what you're trying to accomplish with this site:) I checked it out and looks good. Anything more "specific" (cycles and such) can be added as new topics under that category and that would work, it appears :)

HORMONES and MENTAL HEALTH should draw the eye of anyone with hormone issues ...like women at certain female cycles and phases ...and MEN HAVE HORMONES TOO! grin .... I've heard of a Male Menopause called "Andropause". Know nothing about it.

Great, David. Thanks for adding it. Makes it easier for people to find.
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadiana
    HORMONES and MENTAL HEALTH should draw the eye of anyone with hormone issues ...like women at certain female cycles and phases ...and MEN HAVE HORMONES TOO!
    They do indeed -- and having it general for now means that's a placve to discuss some of the links between hormones and depression in both genders, like the possible links between prolactin and depression, testosterone and anger/aggression, etc.