Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bigger Fonts GREAT!

Today all the fonts are BIGGER and my eyes don't strain!
    THANK YOU David (I assume you enlarged them ... I was
    thinking about asking you if you could :) )

I hope your Labour Day weekend was good.
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Re: Bigger Fonts GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadiana
    Today all the fonts are BIGGER and my eyes don't strain! THANK YOU David (I assume you enlarged them ... I was
    No, I didn't change that, or at least not intentionally -- I was tinkering with the style sheet a while earlier but then reverted to the original.

However, depending on your browser-operating system-monitor/screen or display resolution, you may be able to render fonts a bit larger in certain places - here it's all done with CSS so that can't be done with the browser... I'm not certain if changing your default fonts will make a difference.

Momof5 may know the answer to that -- or you can experiment with setting.

Re: Bigger Fonts GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanadiana
    Today all the fonts are BIGGER and my eyes don't strain! THANK YOU David (I assume you enlarged them ... I was
    No, I didn't change that, or at least not intentionally -- I was tinkering with the style sheet a while earlier but then reverted to the original.

However, depending on your browser-operating system-monitor/screen or display resolution, you may be able to render fonts a bit larger in certain places - here it's all done with CSS so that can't be done with the browser... I'm not certain if changing your default fonts will make a difference.

Momof5 may know the answer to that -- or you can experiment with setting.
    Yeah... I think I spoke a little too soon because other threads are still small fonts. I DID choose "increase fonts"in my browser. I'll playa bit. Thanks :)
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Bigger Fonts GREAT!

I could look into trying to increase some of the fonts a bit -- which ones are the hardest to read for you? One problem is that they are set up now for viewing at normal font size on an 800x600 screen and if the size is increased the word-wrapping and other things may very well get thrown around...

Bigger Fonts GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter
    I could look into trying to increase some of the fonts a bit -- which ones are the hardest to read for you? One problem is that they are set up now for viewing at normal font size on an 800x600 screen and if the size is increased the word-wrapping and other things may very well get thrown around...
    Well if I'm the only one complaining (grin) then I wouldn't mess with something that works if it might throw other things off ;) I'll play with my own "old 486 with old browser version, small monitor" computer and browser settings.

Thanks for your consideration tho. Not to worry David.
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Bigger Fonts GREAT!

Assuming you're running some version of Windows, try this:

- right click on the desktop and select Properties | Appearance | Font Size

I can't remember how this worked in Windows 95/98 but it was something similar where you could select large fonts...

If that isn't close, try Windows Help | font size

okay :)

Will do ...and thanks :)

Oh ... I use Win95 and Netscape 4.72 ... no room to upgrade to newer browser versions. Need new harddrive or computer...no money ... suffer along as is and be grateful for what I CAN do for now. And I AM grateful :) )
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Bigger Fonts GREAT!

I'm still exploring this. I was under the impression that CSS "forced" the fonts to be a certain size independent of screen resolution but some of the things I've been reading recently here and there makes me question that conclusion. If they can be overridden by individual system or browser settings, then it's just a matter of remembering how to do it in Windows 95 and Netscape.

To be continued...

Bigger Fonts GREAT!

Thanks David :)

(I've been pretty absorbed in my own life lately so not posting
    much but reading a few new posts as time permits ... by the way,
    if I were certain I'd still be online at the end of the month I WOULD
    offer to help moderating a section or two. I also may do a major
    geographical move (to Ontario) very soon ... so until I catch up
    on my phone/net bills and/or know regards move ... I can't commit
    to Moderating and know I'll be able to follow thru :(

Thanks for the update regards font sizing ... ENJOY your weekend hey!
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Progress Report

I've been told that with some versions of Netscape you can override CSS font sizes. I have Netscape 4.73 installed here for testing pages only and so I just had a look at the forum using that...

I do see your problem, Kanadiana -- the default font size is smaller in Netscape than in Internet Explorer -- in fact, in NS, it's downright tiny!

I tried two different settings for increasing font size in NS 4.73 -- neither made a difference for the forum.

The other possibility as I mentioned is to try to increase system font size using Windows settings... I'll see what I can find out for doing that with Windows 95.

One other thing: Do you have the full Netscape installed there, Kanadiana? Is that what you use as your email client? There are actually newer browsers now that may be better for you, both in terms of supporting newer features and also loading faster and taking up less disk space... That was one reason I switched to Internet Explorer back when I had Windos 95 and an older system with limited disk space: I actually, at least back then, freed up some disk space by switching to Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. However, from what you say, I wonder whether you might have to uninstall Netscape in order to install another browser -- if so, that might not be a safe option for you...

How much free hard drive space do you have now? If you have enough to install a different browser and get it running, including importing your address book, etc., maybe I can guide you through the process...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast