Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Quotable Quotes

Quotable Quotes

"The world is full of suffering, it is also full of overcoming it."
    -- Helen Keller

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." -- Albert Camus

"Courage consists in holding on just on moment longer."
    -- Albert Payson Terhune

Re: Quotable Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter

"Courage consists in holding on just one moment longer."
    -- Albert Payson Terhune
    The above is definately my favorite because thats the only kind of courage that worked for me through every bout of "I can't cope with this". Much of my life has had to be moment by moment while my mind and life tossed things up at me from out of the blue.
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Quotable Quotes

James Thurber
    Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness

Gracián
    Good things, when short, are twice as good. (I like this one, being 5' 2'' myself)

Faith Whittlesey
    Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

Please forgive me adding this personal thing, men, but it is what I have always said, and I have just found it in print!! :D
    Gloria Steinem:
    If women are supposed to be less rational and more emotional at the beginning of our menstrual cycle when the female hormone is at its lowest level, then why isn't it logical to say that, in those few days, women behave the most like the way men behave all month long?

Louisa May Alcott:
    When women are the advisers, the lords of creation don't take the advice till they have persuaded themselves that it is just what they intended to do; then they act upon it, and if it succeeds, they give the weaker vessel half the credit of it; if it fails, they generously give her the whole.
    in Little Women

Amy Bloom:
    Love at first sight is easy to understand; it's when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle.

Homer:
    There is nothing nobler or more admirable than when two people who see eye to eye keep house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends.

Mignon McLaughlin:
    A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.

Tom Mullen:
    Happy marriages begin when we marry the ones we love, and they blossom when we love the ones we marry.

You get what you settle for...

Leonard Cohen - Bird On A Wire
    I saw an old man leaning on a wooden crutch...
    He called out to me, "Hey, don't ask for so much."
    And I saw a young woman leaning in a darkened door...
    She cried out to me, "Hey! Why not ask for more?

You get what you settle for...

Quotable Quotes

"There is always a moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in." -- Graham Greene

Quotable Quotes

"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."
    --Joseph Campbell
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quotable Quotes

We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
    --Martin Luther King

Remember sadness is always temporary. This, too, shall pass.
    --Chuck T. Falcon

Just as despair can come to one only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings.
    --Elie Weisel

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    --Japanese proverb

When I hear somebody sigh, "Life is hard," I am always tempted to ask, "Compared to what?"
    --Sydney J. Harris

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
    --Soren Kierkegaard.

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul.
    --Emily Dickensons

Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark.
    --unknown

Quotable Quotes

Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back,you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Quotable Quotes

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
    - Leo Buscaglia

Kindness is tenderness. Kindness is love, but perhaps greater than love...Kindness is good will. Kindness says, "I want you to be happy.
    - Randolph Ray

What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?
    - Jean Jacques Rousseau

Kindness is an inner desire that makes us want to do good things even if we do not get anything in return. It is the joy of our life to do them. When we do good things from this inner desire, there is kindness in everything we think, say, want and do.
    - Emmanuel Swedenborg

Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness.
    - Seneca

Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom.
    - Theodore Isaac Rubin

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these.
    - George Washington Carver

Quotable Quotes

Never, never, never give up.
    - Winston Churchill

Great changes may not happen right away, but with effort even the difficult may become easy.
    - Bill Blackman

To reach a port we must sail, sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it. But we must not drift or lie at anchor.
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes

May you live all the days of your life.
    - Jonathan Swift

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast