Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Book: Women's Moods (hormones/brain/emotions)

Book: Women's Moods (hormones/brain/emotions)

I found the proper name of that book about Women and hormones ... published in 1999 ... it covers alot about female phases from starting menstruation right through to finally post menopause.

Much like a workbook/charting symptoms etc, in some spots, experiences of women, naturopathic and traditioal approaches to dealing with issues and "disorders" etc ... I found it very informative and helpful ... and very validating for some of my own experiences.

Have a look ... scroll down the page to read some reviews :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...07342?v=glance

Kanadiana :)
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

2. Advertisement

That does indeed look like an interesting book, Kanadiana -- I was expecting something a little different (and not as good) from the title: "Women's Moods: What Every Woman Must Know About Hormones, the Brain, and Emotional Health" -- as one of the reviewer's said, it sounds like it's going to be another book about PMS but in fact it seems to be more about the whole range of ways the hormones interact with other factors to determine emotional reactions, depression, etc.

I've bookmarked it... Thanks for pointing this out.

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter
    That does indeed look like an interesting book, Kanadiana -- I was expecting something a little different (and not as good) from the title:

I've bookmarked it... Thanks for pointing this out.
    Hi David:)

Yes.very misleading title. This book is actually pretty amazing because it gets into the BRAIN(parts/functions) with diagrams even. There is a lot of< (MY OPINION) plain old common sense in it.

Don't forget about all meds that effect hormones too ... especially BIRTH CONTROL pills.

Also describes the other different mood disorders, like the TYPES of Bipolar, etc, and of course all the "hormonal events" times of a womans life

In the book it mentioned that some women have had issues with "post partum psychosis"and when treated with meds next time, were able to avoid that extreme post partum reaction. Mom no longer had psychotice episodes or intrusive thots of harming her baby etc. when getting on certain meds in time to avert that extreme response.

SOme stuff is biohemical, some psychological. Body mind sets each other off so don't know what came first hey? the chicken or the egg? God ... this stuff is all so hard and complex hey?

Oh ... the book is about "Self Care Program" that has helped blah blah blah ,,, (need to find out more details)
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Just had a thought: maybe a category/forum here for brief reviews by members of "books I've found interesting or helpful"...

What do you think?

Actually, on reflection, maybe it makes more sense to leave it as is, where you'd post it in the section it applies to best, like here...

Thinking out loud in the morning without enough coffee... not a pretty sight!

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter
    Just had a thought: maybe a category/forum here for brief reviews by members of "books I've found interesting or helpful"...

What do you think?

Actually, on reflection, maybe it makes more sense to leave it as is, where you'd post it in the section it applies to best, like here...
    I actually like YOUR idea of a LIBRARY in here :) People can post titles thru-out the forum in context/reply within specific threads/posts ... but have a MAIN Library for people to hone right in who want to see what books might help/inform them about "whatever is meaningful to them" Just advise people to try get the SUBJECT MATTER in the "subject line" of the post???

Like;

PTSD -
    COMMUNICATING- couples/kids/whatever
    Etc

Thinking out loud in the morning without enough coffee... not a pretty sight!
    Not bad thinking for a semi-conscious old-timer there David.. and we get less pretty in the mornings as we get older. Don't worry, someone must still love you anyways :- :eek:I gotta run now ................... bye grin
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Hmmm... that might work...

Reference Library & Book Reviews

I'll sleep on it... :o)