Is it possible to easily change the number of characters
    "per line" without that effecting other aspects of the
    forum setup as is?

BTW... I tried changing to 600 x 800 (whatever) and
    that didn't work with my setup. Messed up the graphics
    and there is no way for me to enlarge the fonts in
    here that I've found yet, through my own browser or
    control panel settings ... bummer.

Hope your weekend had some RandR time :) Oh and thanks regards your comment about my reply to
    longterm SA impact.
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

2. Advertisement

Characters and wrap?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadiana
    I tried changing to 600 x 800 (whatever) and that didn't work with my setup. Messed up the graphics
    It's possible that if it's an older model or older graphics card you may not have that option, but in most cases Windows will handle this -- I think you said that you are using Windows 95 or 98, is that right? Can you check the display settings in control panel and see what driver you are using? It may be possible to update that... Also, when you say it messed up your graphics, (1) how did you go about making the change to 800x600 and how did it mess up the graphics (and which graphics)?

I know it's annoying to have to scroll back and forth to read a line -- however, changing that here would require a major change, since all the headings and buttons and stuff would be affected (in several of the forum files too).

and there is no way for me to enlarge the fonts in here that I've found yet, through my own browser or control panel settings
    Again, can you confirm for me which version of Windows you're using? I'm not sure it can be done, except that enlarging the browser fonts won't work -- I was thinking of modifying the Windows font sizes, which I think can be done -- I just don't know if it will make a difference, but it's a separate problem than the one above.

Characters and wrap?

I think fonts can be enlarged (individually) through Internet Explorer, can't they?
    Through 'View' on the top toolbar, and 'text size'... but I may be wrong...
    it's just that I had to look into that recently, as my AOL browser does not have 'View' at the top.

I know in the forum that I set up, there is a way of enlarging the forum text (but that is Invision software), and I couldn't do it, but thankfully I have a co-Admin now, who is a computer genius, and he has done it... ha ha ha :D

Characters and wrap?

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter
    It's possible that if it's an older model or older graphics card you may not have that option, but in most cases Windows will handle this -- I think you said that you are using Windows 95 or 98, is that right? Can you check the display settings in control panel and see what driver you are using? It may be possible to update that...
    Hi ... thanks for the reply :)

Win95
    Netscape 4.72 browser
    Display type = S3 Trio 32/64 PCI (whatever the heck this is??eeeeeek I don't know this stuff)
    Settings: True Colour (32 bit) 640 x 480

DOWNLOADING new stuff ... CAN'T ... absolutely no room on HD and no $ to upgrade/fix
    ...NO ... there is nothing I can remove to make more room

GRAPHICS (all images/icons/boxes/pictures/words) messed up with = from after bootup to desktop, and everything else ... very rough "pixelly" (dots - think pointilism) ugly distorted blurry (right terminology???)

FONTS ... I'll go into my main Windows CP and enlarge fonts that way if I can ... and test. You're correctthat justmy browsersettings do nothing for this particular site (but works for all the others I visit???)

Not to worry yourself too much with this David ... you'll start charging me for troubleshooting EK grin ...I'm going to try changing fontsize thruWin95 now).

Enjoy your morning coffee ... I hope its not raining there too :(
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Characters and wrap?

Quote Originally Posted by sammy
    I think fonts can be enlarged (individually) through Internet Explorer, can't they?
    :D
    The older IE Browser that comes with Win95 can't even connect internet at all. (no roomto download newer IE version :( big fat bummr) argh.

Thanks a lot Sammy ... wanna shoo your comp genius over here? grin Drat ... I know its this TYPE of forum program that my computer can't change the sizs of ...Ishall just have to visit the optometrist a little sooner for new prescription bifocals (psych :p )

The posts just have small text and I squint and strain. These days I almost throw books across the library/store if I crack it openand seesmall print. Ievenstill need magnifying glass as well as my bifocals to read newspapers and phonebooks .. the fonts in here aren't THAT bad for me tho ...

This IS a test you know, for an Aries. EEK

take care ... :)
    Hugs from Kanadiana ...

Characters and wrap?

Quote Originally Posted by sammy
    I think fonts can be enlarged (individually) through Internet Explorer, can't they? Through 'View' on the top toolbar, and 'text size'... but I may be wrong...
    Fonts and font sizes are all set with CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) coding here, which I don't think is affected by re-setting font size in the browser.

I know in the forum that I set up, there is a way of enlarging the forum text (but that is Invision software)
    When I get a chance, I'll see if I can find out what would be involved...