Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The Curse of the Self

"You are not what others think of you; you are not even who you think you are. Thoughts label but do not live."

~ Robert Rosenbaum, Walking the Way

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Now" is not only a cognitive illusion but also a mathematical trick, related to how we define space and time quantitatively. One way of seeing this is to recognize that the notion of "present," as sandwiched between past and future, is simply a useful hoax. After all, if the present is a moment in time without duration, it can't exist. What does exist is the recent memory of the immediate past and the expectation of the near future. We link past and future through the conceptual notion of a present, of "now." But all that we have is the accumulated memory of the past--stored in biological or various recording devices--and the expectation of the future.

~ Marcelo Gleiser, There Is No Now

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interview: Susan Blackmore -- Philosophy Now

I don’t have a theory of consciousness now. I have had in the past, but each time I decided it was wrong. Doing five years in parapsychology and then having to change my mind about almost everything has made me good at letting go of theories. I think Dan Dennett is right that almost all the theories of consciousness we have today are basically forms of Cartesian materialism in disguise. If you ask, “What is in my consciousness now?”, and you think that there must be an answer, then you are a Cartesian materialist. You are still assuming that there is some part of you separate from your thoughts which owns your thoughts, which experiences them. Every time you ask yourself “Am I conscious now?”, it seems to me you draw a backwards story of what you must just have been thinking about. This gives you the illusion of a conscious self who was already there, but it is an illusion. The stream of consciousness and the person experiencing it are both illusions. The interesting question is then how and why are we so deluded?...

An illusion is something that is not what it seems to be. If I seem to be a persisting self having a series of experiences I am wrong. Actually there are parallel, multiple streams that stop and start and join up. And the self is a verbal construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123