Likes Likes:  9
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Difficulty with eye contact

Quote Originally Posted by Roy H. View Post
    I thought I would get better now that I finally got sober, but I never did. I work now, but it borders on almost impossible. I have spent my entire adult life begging anyone for answers for what is wrong with me, and I may have finally started to be getting to the bottom of this.

Check this thread. If anyone here has more in-depth info on this, please help me.

Catatonia in those with ASD
    I responded to you in that other thread, Roy.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This article kind of seems to articulate to a certain degree what's going on with me. Though it doesn't really talk about how my brain and eyes kind of "freeze up" sometimes when looking at someone - sometimes you can tell when other person is looking at me it's like they r seem a ghost or something...and from that point forward said people try to avoid me.

Social Anxiety and Dysmorphias | Social Anxiety Institute

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This usually also applies with social anxiety:

Overcoming the spotlight effect

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be actually getting closer to figuring out what is wrong with my weird a--.

Neural response to eye contact and paroxetine treatment in generalized social anxiety disorder

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly don't think Prozac has helped much. Maybe I need to try paroxetine??

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy H. View Post
    Honestly don't think Prozac has helped much. Maybe I need to try paroxetine??
    IMHO, changing SSRIs may not be as helpful as integrating additional therapies such as CBT, sweat-inducing exercise, etc.

As my last therapist told me, mental health issues can be like having diabetes in that there are things that may need to be done daily for prevention/treatment. Like exercising, journaling, going out of your comfort zone every so often, etc. -- whatever has worked in the past.

Social anxiety can respond especially well though to CBT -- if one is willing to face one's fears.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Additionally, paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat) does not have a good record when it comes to adverse side-effects and it is also known to have perhaps the worst discontinuation/withdrawal effects in its family.

If you're already on Paxil and it's working for you, great. Don't change anything.

But if you are not currently on Paxil, I would suggest that there are a lot of alternatives that are preferable.

When it comes to the choice of medications to treat whatever conditions you may have, Google really is NOT your friend.

Talk to and listen to your doctor(s) instead. That's what they are trained to do.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To David's point, a funny/interesting title:

Paroxetine--The Antidepressant from Hell? Probably Not, But Caution Required

From the conclusion:

The problems and risks associated with paroxetine appear to possibly make it the least safe of all SSRIs and SNRIs and, if not for the low therapeutic indices of TCAs and MAOIs, possible cardiotoxicity and increased risk of serotonin syndrome, possibly the least safe of all antidepressants. These conclusions should lead practitioners to be much more cautious than with other antidepressants in recommending, initiating and continuing treatment with paroxetine, especially in females.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go ahead and get my hopes up, and then it quickly comes crashing down. I'm at my wits end here. Really on the verge oof entirely giving up.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The study would probably have gotten similar results if Prozac was used and even better results if the SSRI was combined with CBT.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might have to get put on lithium. My mom was on it for 40 years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast