Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chat

Chat

It would be great to be able to chat with the members of this community.
    Thanks for the space, though.

2. Advertisement

Chat

Do you mean a real-time chat room, Sarah?

I'm a little leery about that because of the lack of control -- I remember back in the days of IRC things could get pretty nasty really quickly unless there was a moderator with true control there 24/7. For this type of forum, that's a real concern for me because of the sensitive histories of many people here.

Of course, you can always initiate your own chat with other interested members via MSN Messenger or one of the others, where you can invite two or more members into a joint conversation (if they have their messenger addresses posted here of course... not all do). It may be possible to do that with ICQ and Yahoo Messenger or AIM as well... I don't know.

Chat

I also think this could be a good idea. I go to a place that has a chat room as part of their forums and there isnt much of the IRC bad stuff going on in there as most of the people that come to these types of forums are looking for help and not out to bash and destroy people like on some other kinds of sites. Also you seem to be around or a mod for that matter quite a bit. So if it got out of hand people could pm people in charge and you could control them that way(banning,warning etc.) Im not sure if there are enough people here at the moment for anyone to use it but as the site grows id consider it :) Lots of possibilites of setting up different times for people to come and to talk about certain issues or what not. Real time chat also has its advantages as well as the negatives of not being able to control it as easily. Firm rules and an easy way to tell those in charge if there is trouble could make it more positive i think.

Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymus
    Real time chat also has its advantages as well as the negatives of not being able to control it as easily. Firm rules and an easy way to tell those in charge if there is trouble could make it more positive i think.
    But the problem is who is in charge? I can't spend 24 hours a day here or even at my computer, not even 8 hours a day (I have a full time private practice), and I don't know of anyone who would have the combined technical and professional experience and who would be willing to take on the task.

While I can see why it might be helpful for some, I see it as being just too time-consuming to monitor at present.

Chat

Im not sure how many moderaters there are on this site but having them being able to temporarily suspend chat priveleges til you or whoever could decide, could work i would think. After all even if someone was being obnoxious people could leave til someone showed up. I dont think it would be too much more damaging then say a post someone put up attacking someone that didnt get deleted right away. Im not trying to argue it tho i can understand that it would be tough and it not being worth it at this time. But in the future i reserve the right to beg again haha.