Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Terminating therapy - what, why, how

Thank you.

I hope this won't be the only article or discussion you will be a part of.

Re: Terminating therapy - what, why, how

Thank you for an excellent series of articles and your comments, Ryan. I hope we'll see you back again from time to time.
    Last edited by Turtle; January 29th, 2009 at 07:51 AM.

3. Re: Terminating therapy - what, why, how

hi ryan, welcome and thanks so much for stopping by to clarify. your explanation makes a lot more sense, and i am glad you dropped in!
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Re: Ending therapy: How to figure out when it's time

All of this is interesting,because on Monday I asked my therapist when my therapy will be ending.Not because I'm ready to terminate,but just because I was curious.

He said I will 'just know'. He said I will either tell him I've had enough or I will feel like I have gone as far as I can. He also mentioned some goals he would like to see me achieve before ending.

I know I can't be in therapy forever. But I honestly don't see how I will know when it's time to end it.It seems to me that the therapist should be the one that decides that.

Actually I think this is something best decided jointly by the client and the therapist.

He also mentioned some goals he would like to see me achieve before ending.
    Wouldn't striving to achieve these goals be a better objective indicator of successful therapy than just "feeling" you have had enough, as long as both therapist and client agree on the goals?
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Yes,I do think so Steve. And it is a goal I would like to achieve,one that's pretty important,that we both agree on.

He seems to think that one of these days I am going to decide this trauma therapy is too hard and I will run from it and stop going at all. He doesn't want me to do that,and when he says it,it makes me want to show him he's wrong and show him that I will keep going,no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_In_Thought View Post
    He said I will 'just know'. He said I will either tell him I've had enough or I will feel like I have gone as far as I can.
    I have been thinking about ending therapy a lot lately.Not just stop going all at once,but maybe at the beginning of the year start going every other week for awhile and then go down to once per month and then eventually stop going altogether.

I think I have had enough and also feel like I have gone as far as I can.

I think I am finished talking about my traumas.Not because I have processed all of them or anything but because I really don't think it's possible to ever make peace with some of them.And I know they will always be there,they will always affect me and the best I can do is manage my PTSD symptoms.I'm sure I will always struggle with them,but I just have to keep trying different things to help myself.I don't need to be contacting my therapist every time my symptoms are in high gear.I know what I need to do,and I am capable of managing on my own.I don't really need him as a safety net,I just like having him as one.

As much as I have hated going there the past 4 years,I also have always secretly dreaded the day when it would come to an end. I don't feel that way anymore.I don't dread it now,I feel like it will be an accomplishment when I do.

Definitely a big decision, LiT, and the termination process usually takes place over a period of time by gradually weaning down like you've described. Do you plan on discussing this with your therapist now and arranging a formal termination date and working towards this together?
    ~ Allow yourself to be the light that the world so desperately needs. ~ Unknown

Yes,I plan on talking to him during my last session of this year,before he takes his two weeks off for Christmas.

I am not sure what he will think about it though,I have so much going on in my life at the moment that he may not think it's such a good idea.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast