More threads by NakedWombat

My 11 year old daughter has been having a some minor anxiety issues over the past year. While living in Rockhampton, a Regional City about 700km north of Brisbane(Australia), we could not really get anything done as there no real such medical services there to the point where a friend's daughter who self harms, is Borderline Personality, Bi-Polar, etc has no access to children psychiatric services either.

We are now living in Sydney, a cool 1,800km south of Rockhampton. My daughter has started to get some anxiety issues and only recently got a referral for a Pediatrician by the Family Doctor however, last night she had a panic attack and could not leave the house without becoming scared and clinging on to somebody. We took her to the hospital but the area we live in also has no Children's Psychiatric services so we have to ring up a larger hospital closer into Sydney.

Today, she can walk in the backyard alone without fear but feels anxious at the front yard, only making it halfway. Now I have to contact her teacher to see how we can work together. We have homeschooled before and so it looks like we'll have to again but under different circumstance indeed.

We're disappointed for her and she is too as she is going to miss her camp to Canberra with her school grade which is two nights away, and probably will miss out on the art class end of next week where she was going to try her hand at clay work. She is very arty.

Such a shame. And she had only just begun riding her new bicycle around, exploring the area on it alone. You don't realise how much you appreciate your freedom until you lose it.

I hope you are able to get some help soon for your daughter

It is a shame she will be missing some of the activities she was looking forward too.

Perhaps the teacher will have some ideas on how to help her attend. Are you or someone in the family able to take her to such activities until she gets the professional help she needs.
It is good you recognize she needs some help and you are getting it for her not all parents have that insight good for you hun Keep us updated ok and remember hun to take care of You too hugs

Retired

Sorry to hear about your daughter's situation, NW. Do keep us posted on developments.

Once you get a referral, what's it like to actually receive services in Australia?

Sorry to hear about your daughter's situation, NW. Do keep us posted on developments.

Once you get a referral, what's it like to actually receive services in Australia?

Been murder so far. The number of who we were given to ring to make a booking was the wrong information as they are secondary intervention when/if necessary. That the local Psychiatric team decided not to assess her based on they aren't trained in working with children was also the wrong move, as was explained to me today. I was told today that we have to get the family doctor to refer her to a psychologist and try to get her into a school counselor who should work together.

While I was trying to get hold of somebody, I was being sent around to others. Very frustrating.

In regard to my daughter, she has improved a lot where this morning she walked right across the road, down the corner and up the other road a little where we stopped only because we were both barefooted. It's at night time where she is most affected.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.