More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
A Prisoner of Anxiety
by Lynne Taetzsch
Thursday, February 22nd, 2007

I am bipolar and suffer from various anxieties, and I was thinking recently about the effects each of these conditions has had on me throughout my life. It?s not always easy to separate the two, since anxiety and depression often go together. But I have to say that while the bipolar symptoms and their consequences have been more dramatic, it?s the anxiety that has been the biggest culprit in keeping me from doing the things I want to do. It?s the anxiety that has often kept me a prisoner in my home, afraid to go out into the world.

My bipolar hypomania, on the other hand, gives me the confidence to do things I?m not even qualified to do. That may get me into trouble at times, but at least I?m out engaging with the world. I much prefer that self to the scaredy-cat hiding in her room. Perhaps that?s why I used dangerous drugs like amphetamines when I was young?in order to enhance the manic aspects of my nature.

Another thought occurred to me as I am writing this: Perhaps the anxiety was a way to hold back my wild self from daring too much? No, I think the anxiety came first and I?ve always been trying to fight it. Since I was a little girl I was afraid of strangers, afraid of teachers, and self-conscious about my appearance. In third grade I peed in my pants in school because I was afraid to ask permission to go to the bathroom.

The terrible thing about anxiety is how it holds us back: keeps us from meeting new people, going to social events, applying for a job, speaking in public, traveling to new places, and sometimes, just leaving the house. It is this aspect of anxiety that makes me not want to give in to it. Life is too short to hold back. It might be more comfortable to give in to the anxiety and hide, but sometimes we just have to sally forth in spite of our fears. I?ve never been sorry for venturing out in spite of my anxiety, but I?ve often regretted giving in to it and staying home.

Anxiety is SO HARD. It was hard for me to even click on this to read it. It was VERY hard to read it.

I like this line though:

I’ve never been sorry for venturing out in spite of my anxiety, but I’ve often regretted giving in to it and staying home.

Similar threads

No longer a prisoner of panic 09/26/06 by Shawn Rhea, Asbury Park Press Kristen Silary was at a restaurant with her mother and grandmother the first time she became uncontrollably nervous about what other people might be thinking of her. "When we got to the restaurant my stomach started hurting and I had to leave and go to the bathroom," Silary said. Only 12 at the time, Silary, now 19, didn't realize she was having a panic attack. "I had the whole racing heartbeat and I couldn't breathe...
Replies
Views
Zoom Anxiety Disorders An online weekly support group open to anyone who has an anxiety problem. This is a peer support group, for adults ages 18+, led by a mental health professional. You’ll have a chance to talk with others who “get” anxiety and also learn self-help skills. A referral or diagnosis is not needed to attend. All groups are open to anyone who has anxiety. Groups are offered on a first-come, first-serve basis. The cost is $5 and groups are non-refundable. Fee: $5/group...
Replies
Views
https://www.therapywithalessio.com/articles/how-to-heal-anxiety-with-ifs-internal-family-systems-therapy ...One of the most difficult parts of psychotherapy, and of change in general, is “doing” and “applying” the lessons that we learn from parts of our Inner System. For example, if your anxious parts are telling you that you should not drink that glass of milk because you are on a new diet, what are you going to do? Are you going to honour what this part is telling you? Or are you going...
Replies
Views
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/nov/12/michelle-obama-golden-rules-of-parenting-the-light-we-carry ‘Is everyone doing this perfectly but me?’ Michelle Obama on the guilt and anxiety of being a mother - and her golden parenting rules "You can spend a lot of time dreaming, preparing and planning for family life to go perfectly, but, in the end, you’re pretty much just left to deal with whatever happens. You can establish systems and routines, anoint your various sleep, feeding and...
Replies
Views
https://www.newharbinger.com/9781684039197/the-anxiety-and-depression-workbook-for-teens/ Start Reading Now :acrobat: (excerpt) Identify Your Thinking Traps Name Description Example Black-or-White You think in black or white with no shades of gray. “If I don’t get an A+ in this class, then I’m a failure.” End of the World You predict the worst and blow things out of proportion. “I’ll never get into college or have a successful career.” Filtering You focus on negatives while...
Replies
Views