• Quote of the Day
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere."
    Van Wilder, posted by Daniel

GaryQ

MVP
Aside from MS being like an open hotel for free spying access.

This windows 10 as a DIS Service is pushing me to the brink. The last straw was having Google Chrome repackaged and shoved down my throat against my will. At first I sucked it up but the damn thing keeps erasing my saved sites and passwords at least once a week. Sure I could leave it on all the time but we all know with the constant crap they keep pushing up forces reboots and power outages have the same effect.

And like seriously what other options do I have? Linux? even worse than Windows. Apple only somewhat useful on a phone.

And it's nothing to do with me being old. I remember when I DECIDED what was on my computers. And my SMART TV is REALLY smart now. It has no internet or lan access. Disabled. End of seeing it try and sniff my local network.

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Forget Windows, Linux or MacOS: Our choice of the best alternative operating systems | TechRadar

ArcaOS 5.0 from Arca Noae is the new release of OS/2 for the 21st century

ArcaOS runs…

…OS/2 applications (32-bit and 16-bit) [e.g. Warpzilla - Mozilla for OS/2]
…16-bit Windows applications
…DOS applications
…ported Linux applications
…select 32-bit Windows applications
…Java applications [including those made with [WIKI]NetRexx[/WIKI]]
…Qt applications [e.g. Otter Browser]
REXX applications
…much more…

Configure ArcaOS to utilize all memory above 4GB as a RAM disk, and at bootup, copy your most frequently used applications there. It’s like running your OS/2, Windows, DOS, REXX, Java, and ported Linux applications on air.
------

Wikipedia article in a terminal Linux browser (Lynx):

Lynx-wikipedia.png

----

Ubuntu terminal for Windows:

WSL | Ubuntu

Install a complete Ubuntu terminal environment in minutes on Windows 10 with Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).

Access the Linux terminal on Windows, develop cross-platform applications, and manage IT infrastructure without leaving Windows.

Last edited:

David Baxter

Administrator
I actually like Windows 10, even with it's quirks. Mind you,. I have customized it quite a bit to suit my way of working but that's true of any and all software.

I'm not sure what you mean by "having Google Chrome repackaged and shoved down my throat". Are you talking about Edge? I think Edge is a huge improvement over Chrome even though it's built on the same open source platform. It loads faster and runs faster any by this point it's added enough features and extensions that it's almost an optional replacement for my highly customized default browser, Firefox, should I ever have to leave Firefox. There are really only two Firefox extensions now that I use daily and can't yet get in Edge (not that I'm interested in replacing Firefox any time soon - it's still faster than either Edge or Chrome on my system).

GaryQ

MVP
MY POINT was it's friggen erasing my network connections and deleting my website credentials. and it does it on my non internet connected server also. What's the "SAVE" for? And I have everything not to delete on close.

@Daniel Forget to take your meds today? :facepalm:

GaryQ

MVP
There's always piHole and others to block everything but what you want in and out. Right now I have my VPN ion server n disconnect mode with kill switch enabled. Only LAN access possible.

David Baxter

Administrator
MY POINT was it's friggen erasing my network connections and deleting my website credentials. and it does it on my non internet connected server also. What's the "SAVE" for? And I have everything not to delete on close.

Do you have the latest version? Or at least a recent version?

That was a bug in one of the versions or patches a few months back but as far as I know that was fixed.

GaryQ

MVP
2004 which took till aug 25 to be ready for deploy. And all updates to date. Sure 20H2 is waiting for me to download and mess more stuff up. :facepalm:

What ever happened to fix bugs instead of adding UNREMOVEABLE useless features and making it harder even for geeks. On the old 3 year cycle we had time to remove the bloatware. Open your running services and have a peek. Or a traffic analizer. Yes it's better than a andriod phone or a chromebook but If I wanted to play XBOX games I'd get a dang XBOX. And they keep pumping advertising all over the place. more and more. Why you think they gave up and went with the chrome engine? Google is miles ahead of MS on snooping and stealing. So if you can't beat them copy them. And don't get me started on "the cloud!" Reminds me of pay toilets. Sure do your accounting and important paperwork in the web. Pay to give them more info with office 365. Every "update I have to debloat. I want to USE my PCs otherwise might as well use Linux since wine can run most windoze stuff.

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
@Daniel Forget to take your meds today? :facepalm:

I was answering your question/comment literally: "And like seriously what other options do I have?" So there are other options but they are hobbies in themselves. It depends how much you hate Windows, Linux, or [WIKI]macOS[/WIKI]. I've had macOS working on an Intel PC laptop (a "[WIKI]Hackintosh[/WIKI]") that also had Windows, and it worked well except for the occasional hiccup. If I were to do it again, I would probably go with a virtual version: How to run Mac OS X in Windows 10 with VMware Unlocker

And my favorite memories of using a computer are MS-DOS and using terminal screens. There is something more "zen" about the older, simpler interfaces, which is why I sometimes use WordPerfect instead of MS Word.

Last edited:

GaryQ

MVP
Was not my intention to ruffle your feathers Daniel although I could have added :rofl: or "Are you really serious or being silly?" to clarify my comment.

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
"Are you really serious or being silly?" to clarify my comment.

Serious as a heart attack :) I remember now taking a graduate course in operating systems. It was not pleasant with all that stuff about deadlock :)

GaryQ

MVP

Thanks David!

Tried finding something a while back and gave up. It's hard filtering the crap on the net today and google is getting worse day by day spitting out unrelated crap for a search.

Bit brain dead right now. Been working in excel all day. Still stuck in it. I can't make up my mind what route to take to write something that does what I want. going to go eat something. I get caught up and... well there's years of growing already done on Excel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom