More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Anger Problems: What They Say about You
By Steven Stosny, Psychology Today
December 29, 2008

Anger is the primary protective emotion, designed to protect us from harm or from loss of something of value. The most physical of all emotions, anger sends action signals to the muscles and organs of the body to prepare us for one purpose and one purpose only: to neutralize or defeat the perceived threat.

Two factors go into the formulation of anger: current vulnerability and magnitude of the perceived threat. Relatively little threat will cause anger when vulnerability is elevated, for example when physical resources are low - you're tired, hungry, sick, injured, depressed, anxious, stressed - or when self-doubt is high, making you more easily insulted.

Problem anger (that which leads you to act against your long-term best interests) is caused by high vulnerability. It is the most self-revealing of emotional states, pointing directly to a powerful cause of vulnerability: a sudden drop in core value.

You experience a state of core value when you think and behave in accordance with the most important things to and about you. It includes a sense of authenticity (you feel genuine) and self-regard, which, together, lower self-doubt and vulnerability to threat.
For instance, if it is important to you to be fair in your dealings with others, you will regard yourself well as long as you are fair, and feel guilt and shame when you are not. If you use the guilt and shame as a motivation to be true to your core value, i.e., to behave more fairly, your self-regard will instantly improve; you will act with conviction and not need anger for defense.

But if you blame your unfair behavior on someone else - a spouse or boss or the IRS - you will become angry or resentful and utterly powerless to restore genuine self-regard. That's right, while angry or resentful, it is nearly impossible for you to restore self-regard on your own, because now it requires that someone submit to what you want. The best you can hope for while angry or resentful is a temporary sense of self-righteousness.

When out of touch with your deepest values, you are more likely to act on ego - how you expect other people to regard you. Once again, your self-regard will depend not on what you do, but on the regard of others (who are likely to be preoccupied with their own self-regard.) In short, you will be become more vulnerable. Because it is controlled by others, ego requires manipulating the impressions of others to preserve and lots of resentment and anger to defend. Preserving and defending your ego will usually lead to violating your deepest values.

Problem anger comes in many forms, e. g, any resentment, restlessness, impatience, agitation, irritability, or sarcasm that motivates behavior contrary to your best interests. But the experience of these unpleasant emotions can be invaluable guides, if you use them like a gas gauge. They tell you that your current state of core value is too low and that you need to fill it up, that is, act according to your deepest values. If angry about the unfairness of someone else, you must be sure that you are being fair. Otherwise, you will merely react to a jerk like a jerk.

In your core value, you will act with conviction to achieve fairness, which is likely to be in your long-term best interests. In anger you will devalue others - at least in your head - which is unlikely to be in your long-term best interests.

Overcoming anger problems requires much more than managing the emotional feelings and physiological arousal of anger, as anger management classes strive to do. Eliminating anger problems depends on a choice of what kind of person you want to be - an angry, resentful person who struggles to manage negative feelings and arousal, or one who lives securely in your core value.

amastie

Anger Problems: What They Say about You
By Steven Stosny, Psychology Today
December 29, 2008

..Eliminating anger problems depends on a choice of what kind of person you want to be...
Anger has never been a big issue for me personally, but when I think of how I cannot bring myself to "choose to be the kind of person I want to be" .. ie happier, not such a burden on family by thinking/feeling as I do .. I wonder how someone given to feeling angry is able, by "choice" alone, to do that too?

stargazer

As one who has experienced anger issues periodically throughout my life, I think I can address some of this in ways which might be helpful. (Quotes are from the article.)

Relatively little threat will cause anger when vulnerability is elevated, for example when physical resources are low - you're tired, hungry, sick, injured, depressed, anxious, stressed - or when self-doubt is high, making you more easily insulted.

This is definitely confirmed in my own experience. For example, sometimes my circumstances have been such that it's been difficult for me to find regular sources of food and shelter, and at those times the anger can be stirred up very easily.

...if it is important to you to be fair in your dealings with others, you will regard yourself well as long as you are fair, and feel guilt and shame when you are not. If you use the guilt and shame as a motivation to be true to your core value, i.e., to behave more fairly, your self-regard will instantly improve; you will act with conviction and not need anger for defense. But if you blame your unfair behavior on someone else - a spouse or boss or the IRS - you will become angry or resentful and utterly powerless to restore genuine self-regard.

This is also definitely backed up in my experience. To act out of anger almost seems to occur in direct proportion to my level of "blame-shifting." Also, when I am blame-shifting, it is a sign that my core value has been diminishing, since the acceptance of responsibility is one of my most important values. Even if I am not "to blame" for some certain turn of events affecting me, it is still I who bears the responsibility to deal with those circumstances. To forget that, and to try and pawn it off upon others, can only lead to frustration.

When out of touch with your deepest values, you are more likely to act on ego - how you expect other people to regard you.

To reply in detail here might verge on being too personal for this particular thread; but I can say that this is what happened with me the last time I moved to the Bay Area. In fact, it happened all four times. The level on which I expected people to recognize me for my alleged talents was incompatible with the core value of respect for others. I would therefore become angry with those who were not treating me the way that my ego desired their treatment of me to be.

In that way, I think I became out of touch with my deepest values. They were replaced by values that were much more shallow or ephemeral. I also saw this quality in my employer at the time. The two of us struck up a "fast friendship" in which we also reinforced this behavior in each other.

Overcoming anger problems requires much more than managing the emotional feelings and physiological arousal of anger, as anger management classes strive to do. Eliminating anger problems depends on a choice of what kind of person you want to be - an angry, resentful person who struggles to manage negative feelings and arousal, or one who lives securely in your core value.

As far as our choice to be (or become) the kind of person we truly mean to be, I am reminded of a good friend of mine. Long ago, she decided to choose five positive attributes of the human spirit on which she would meditate each day. This is in line with her spirituality, which I don't entirely share, but I still think it can be useful. When she told me about it, I decided to try it myself. Earlier this month, I chose five values (not the same as hers), and I make a point of drawing from them at times of confusion or temptation. In other words, if I am tempted to blow up, I choose to remind myself of these deeper values.

While this is not the same thing as "counting to ten," it's something that I can practice while counting to ten. As such, it can make "counting to ten" more effective, because I'm not just counting in a void, feeling as though I'm still about to blow up at any moment. It's more like, during the process of restraint and silence, I am inwardly reminding myself of whom I truly want to be. It might be said, in the terminology of this article, that my core value is being fortified by this practice. It's working so far, anyway.

That's all I've got for now.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.