More threads by NicNak

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
There is a Donkey rescue in Guelph that allows people with disabilities to go there with no pressure of quickness or quota to groom the donkeys.

I saw the owner on TV talking about it and he said that it is soothing for the donkey, as they are from abuse, neglect etc, to interact that way with a human. And as well, soothing for the human to interact with the donkey.

Taken from the Donkey Sanctuary website, Volunteers:

The second group of volunteers, however, is made up of people who are seeking a different kind of experience. They come out to assist in that area of equine care that is commonly referred to as ‘grooming’. This is very much a symbiotic activity: benefits to each party arise out of the process. For the donkeys, regular grooming helps to improve both circulation and the quality of their coats. At the same time, the brushing itself is extremely soothing for the animal who, coincidentally, is becoming more at ease in human company.

This second kind of volunteering is in many ways more abstract. There are no goals to be met (how many donkeys can I groom in an hour?) nor major skills learned (an introductory session usually serves to teach the basics). Instead, grooming is an activity wherein two beings, one homo sapiens and the other equine, can come together to share in a mutually beneficial act. The exercise should be approached as an experience in and of the now. It is worlds away from most day to day lives and there is little more to be gained from it than the extremely gratifying sensation of living in the moment, in the present, moving the brush or curry comb back and forth on the donkey’s body

Here is the website, if anyone is interested in trying it out. It is the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada.

I asked Dr David Baxter previously for permission to post the link, here it is.

http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.ca/website/index.php?p=home

Sparrow

I think it's pretty heartwarming. Volumes have been written on it and will continue to be. Think of all the examples... riding stables for disabled kids, pet visitation programs in hospitals, nursing homes etc. and the healing effects of animals.

Almost makes me want to stay closer to animals than people some days.
Then again, I think were all part of the animal kingdom.

Thought the link was pretty positive and uplifting and I loved the donkey pics!

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I thought it was great too. I have been trying to find other animal places closer to Toronto that do those things, but have not found anything as of yet.

I would love to do that, unfortunetly I can't get to Guelph.

momof5

Animals are very sensitve to what humans go through. Look at how they use the dolphins for very sick children. It is supposed to be a healing thing for chldren who are ill to swim with them.

And as previously mentioned there are all types of groups that use animals in hosptials for those who are really sick.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.