More threads by Cat Dancer

How could I respond to someone who tells me that depression is strictly a result of sin in my life and that anti-depressants are "worthless" and they "really do not work" and that they just "zonk you out?"

I KNOW I'm not perfect and that I have lots and lots of personal problems and issues that I'm trying to deal with, but I'm not sure how to respond to something like this.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think I would be tempted to reply, "I don't mean to be rude but you really have no idea what you're talking about."

yeah.

I just mess up so much. I KNOW that I do. And I'm really trying hard to fix myself, change the way I think, not be so sad, accept responsibility for my faults and be realistic about myself. It's not a pretty picture.

I can only go on though. I can't go back. None of us can go back and undo our mistakes or change the past.

To me, taking medication is NOT a sign of weakness, or sin or whatever. I think it is brave to realize that you need help and ask for it. Not saying the medication solves everything, but I don't think it's bad. If that makes any sense. I just wish I could be brave to say that outloud.

RBM

If it's someone open to listening you could do some research and present proof on how medication has helped people or possibly have that person talk to a professional and have them explain it.

Sometimes people just won't be receptive no matter what you say and you need to find satisfaction in saying your piece then accepting that others won't agree.(this is something I'm trying to work on)

RBM said:
Sometimes people just won't be receptive no matter what you say and you need to find satisfaction in saying your piece then accepting that others won't agree.(this is something I'm trying to work on)

That's true and thanks for the advice.

I'm trying to work on that too.

ThatLady

I'm with Dr. Baxter. I'd tell the person they were talking through their hat and had no clue what they are talking about. When they get a PhD or an MD, I'd be happy to listen to them with regard to medications for such things as depression.

Similar threads

Measuring the Effects of Antidepressants versus Untreated Depression on Pregnancy Outcomes by Ruta Nonacs, MD PhD, WomensMentalHealth.org July 10, 2012 Multiple studies have demonstrated an increased risk of poor neonatal adaptation associated with exposure to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants in late pregnancy. Results in the literature consistently indicate that about 25%-30% of infants exposed to SSRIs late in pregnancy manifest symptoms of poor neonatal...
Replies
Views
Antidepressants can be helpful for mild to moderate depression Shrink Rap Blog May 2, 2009 Antidepressants can help mild to moderate depression and should not just be used in bad cases, researchers say. Research published by the National Institute for Health Research Health Technology Assessment (NIHR HTA) programme has found that treatment with a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressant alongside supportive care is more effective and cost-effective than supportive care...
Replies
Views
Video: Antidepressants ? How they help relieve depression By Mayo Clinic Staff Dec. 6, 2008 The human brain has about 10 billion brain cells. Each brain cell can have as many as 25,000 connections with other cells. Messages, which direct many functions throughout your body, travel through your brain from cell to cell, through these connections. For these signals to move from a sending cell to a receiving cell, they must cross a small gap called the synapse. Chemicals called...
Replies
Views
Antidepressant Agents for the Treatment of Chronic Pain and Depression by Michael W. Jann, Pharm.D.; and Julian H. Slade, Pharm.D. Pharmacotherapy. 2007;27(11):1571-1587. 01/03/2008 Depression and painful somatic symptoms commonly occur together. Depression and chronic pain can have devastating effects on a patient's health, productivity, and overall quality of life. When moderate-to-severe pain exists, it can impair patient function while making treatment more difficult or resistant...
Replies
Views
Hi Pheonix, I completely agree with you and thank you for your reply. The hardest part is starting out and I applaud anybody who can push themselves to take that first step. It's hard enough to find the inclination to exercise in a happy state of mind, never mind having to make such a decision when faced with anxiety or depression. Perhaps you are right about the type of exercise that one may want to do, and I will certainly give that good consideration. Though I suspect in my case, my...
Replies
Views