More threads by Murray

Murray

I just have a quick question and I promise to keep it brief, for once :D

Just wondering if the is any link between anxiety symptoms and hormones. It just occurred to me last night as I was feeling quite anxious again for no apparent reason that maybe it has to do with hormone levels or where I am at in my cycle. This is probably totally off base but just curious.

Re: anxiety and hormones?

YOur hormones can affect various aspects of ones moods Murray. Anxious irritable sadness all can be affected by hormones levels. Talk with your doctor okay let him know how anxious you are could by just waiting for the results of the test has you anxiety up as well I hope you anxiety levels out soon and you are able to enjoy your days. take care okay

Murray

Thanks Violet, I never even thought about the test causing me anxiety. The truth is I haven't gone to get tested yet, it keeps slipping my mind for some reason. I must be avoiding it. Maybe I will do it on my way in to work today...if they are open on a Saturday.

I was just wondering about hormones because it just seems that some times I have a lot more anxiety than other times. I have never tried tracking my moods as such, but maybe my anxiety increases at certain points in my cycle, don't know. I was just sort of grasping at straws last night when I started to feel all of those familiar sensations yet again. It is just so aggravating when it seems to come on for no reason. Maybe it was also a delayed reaction from being outside for a couple of hours alone. Who knows? Anyway, thanks.

You are right it could be a delay reaction to the anxiety that builds up inside I am so amazed at how well you are doing with getting out Murray you are pushing yourself more and yes the anxiety can hit you later good thought. Hormones with the meds you are taking to try to get pregnant can affect your moods as well so you are getting hit both ways OUCH know they are just that though okay just emotions nothing to worry abt they will pass okay hope your day gets better today

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
See The root causes of anxiety

Anxiety is one of the most common symptoms of menopause. The anxiety may take the form of anxiety attacks (also called panic attacks), nervousness, unnatural fear, or anxiety combined with depression.

Actually, after a longer look, that link doen't look very reliable and seems to be promoting the sale of their own "remedies" which include hormones, not a good thing to be doing except under the supervision of your doctor - certainly not through an online sales site.

And, doing some further research, although many people seem to link anxiety to perimenopause, whether there is an actual direct connection seems to be debatable.

http://www.obgyn.net/menopause/menopause.asp?page=/meno/news_articles/ask_expert_0501

Q: I read an answer you gave to a person stating she suddenly developed panic anxiety and muscle aches and stiff neck, etc. I am also 48 and suddenly these same symptoms came on along w/ irregular periods which started first prior to panic, anxiety. Don't you agree that the mind and physical are connected therefore, hormone fluctuations at perimenopause affects physiology and the brain? I was taking ativan for panic and haven't taken meds for two months because my anxiety subsided along w/ other symptoms. I don't believe my anxiety or panic would just disappear by itself if I truly had nothing more than a psychiatric disorder. Too many women on message boards have suddenly developed panic anxiety muscle aches, etc in their 40's. This certainly could be perimenopause correct?

A: I disagree. Panic attacks and anxiety can mimic all climacteric symptoms. But they are not climacteric symptoms themselves. Perimenopause can aggravate these problems, but again panic attacks and anxiety are not perimenopausal symptoms and are not cured by taking estrogens.

On the other hand:

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/menopause/a/perimenopause.htm

The Symptoms of Perimenopause

• Hot flashes, night sweats, coldness
  • Irregular periods that can be heavy, light, shorter or longer cycles
  • Difficulty sleeping either getting to sleep or staying asleep
  • Mood changes, anxiety, depression, irritability
  • Heart palpitations (if you experience any heart disturbances, always consult a physician)
  • Dry skin and/or hair loss
  • Loss of or decreased sexual desire
  • Vaginal dryness
  • Incontinence -- the inability to hold your urine

Murray

Boy I hate to think that I am already in perimenopause, that is a depressing thought. But I suppose it is highly possible. I have been having anxiety issues for many years though, so that wouldn't be the cause although I suppose it could be contributing now. I just wondered if in general anxiety sort of waxed and waned with the hormonal variations of a woman's normal cycle, not necessarily due to menopause or perimenopause.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Well, first, a brief search confiurmed that this is one of those areas opr issues where there is an enormous amount of misinformation or half-truth posted on the net so if youv are going to research this yourself caveat emptor - and if a site starts talking about bioidentical hormones or the like or other naturopathic miracle cures click away as fast as you can to another site.

See Anxiety - Hormones and Anxiety

According to an article, "Hormones: How Do They Affect Anxiety in Women", the connection between hormonal fluctuations and anxiety is not fully understood, research does indicate there is some connection. This may contribute to the fact that women have a much greater chance of developing anxiety than men. It is also important to remember that although hormone levels can create an increase in anxiety symptoms, this is not the cause of the anxiety.

Women with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) may see an increase in symptoms prior to having their period. However, other types of anxiety do not seem to be impacted at this time. Some women with premenstrual mood disorder (PMD) see a reduction of anxiety symptoms for the two weeks following the onset of menses.

What is interesting is that hormonal therapy, such as birth control pills, does not seem to make any significant difference in anxiety symptoms. The symptoms of anxiety do not seem to either improve or worsen with treatment for hormonal fluctuations. Another article," Hormones Affect Anxiety and Depression", indicates that while low estrogen may increase the risk of depression, "out of balance" estrogen may increase the risk for anxiety.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.