More threads by Lonewolf

Lonewolf

Can herbal remedies cause intense panic attacks?? I took some herbal meds to help with the anxiety I have been experiencing, especially when people around me are arguing!! As an example, I went to the social group I usually attend and 2 of the guys had a bit of a disagreement!! Tempers heated and voices got louder!! I felt like I was in real danger!! I started to shake really badly and I started crying uncontrollably!! I ran outside and fell apart!! My head felt like it was going to literally explode!! I was overcome with total fear!! It took me a good half hour to get myself together enough to go back in!! I haven't had such a bad panic for ages and I don't understand why it was so bad?? I've had these specific herbal tablets several times before and they usually just make me a bit drowsy so I can cope with social situations that worry me! I don't cope with confrontation, even if I'm not involved in it!!! I am such a wimp, I look like I can look after myself, but I am so nervous really!!! This appears to be effecting me more at the moment which is why I am using this herbal remedy!! I just wondered if the tablets could actually be intensifying my panics? Sorry for rambling, I'm still feeling very jumpy and shaky tonight!!

PrincessX

Account Closed
re: Anxiety & Herbal Medications?

Hi Lonewolf! It should say on the package what is the action of the tablets. Depends on the herbs in them too. Hard to say on a forum. There is people and pharmacies that specialize in naturopathic medicine. You can also judge by your usual response to them. I have been very happy with herbal remedies for mild anxiety, although I did not have to use them frequently. Good Luck.

Hey there Lonewolf... You can also research online... You could go to a Google Search and type keywords something like:

Kalms interactions prescriptions
-- search results::

KALMS TABLETS | Drugs.com

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/par/documents/websiteresources/con117252.pdf
(excerpt)
The active ingredients in Kalms Day come from Valerian (Valeriana officinalis L.)
root and Hop (Humulus lupulus L.) strobile.

--------------------------------

So I did a search on Valerian:

Valerian Effectiveness, Safety, and Drug Interactions on RxList

-- that's from the 3rd page and it seems to be an extensive list of interactions with prescription meds, and on the first couple of pages it indicates some side-effects:
(excerpts)
"There isn't enough information to know whether or not valerian is effective for the other conditions people use it for, including: depression, convulsions, mild tremors, epilepsy, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), muscle and joint pain, headache, stomach upset, menstrual pains, menopausal symptoms including hot flashes and anxiety, and many others. Do not use valerian for these conditions until more is known."

"Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
Depression, anxiety, restlessness, convulsions, mild tremors, epilepsy, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), muscle and joint pain, headache, stomach upset, menstrual pains, menopausal symptoms including hot flashes and anxiety, and other conditions."

"Are there safety concerns?
Valerian is safe for most people when used short-term. It can cause some side effects such as headache, excitability, uneasiness, and even insomnia in some people. A few people feel sluggish in the morning after taking valerian, especially at higher doses. The long-term safety of valerian is unknown. To avoid possible side effects when discontinuing valerian after long-term use, it's best to reduce the dose slowly over a week or two before stopping completely."

Valerian Drug Interactions - Drugs.com

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.