• Quote of the Day
    "It is only too easy to compel a sensitive human being to feel guilty about anything."
    Morton Irving Seiden, posted by Daniel

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
I learned during the last session why my therapist hasn't said anything stupid like the last three therapists. Her research topic in graduate school was obsessive compulsive disorder.

(The SonderMind team matched me with her when I mentioned OCD was by biggest concern.)

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Now bad luck with psychiatrists. A review I left today:

You are better off getting meds from your primary care doctor. Dr. ******* and associates never called me back when I was having side effects from the medication he prescribed me. When I tried to get an earlier appointment due to side effects, none was available. And previously, he never answered any refill requests from the pharmacy.

The whole transition from telehealth to in-person appointments was a nightmare. If you are lucky, they tell you the day before that they have changed things around. May God have mercy on your soul if your voicemail is full.

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
The "honeymoon" period of my mental health being better than usual -- or at least me being more outgoing -- is over. My mental health is back to where it normally is -- thinking that the best I can do is "damage control" when it comes to OCD/anxiety/depression -- taking one day at a time, avoiding triggers/people, "less is more," etc.

Therapy, group therapy, medication, caregiving, and tai chi classes -- none of it seemed to help in the long term since something about each thing was triggering. So I have, over time, slowly quit all of it. Even the meds were apparently causing weight gain.

My therapist doesn't seem to understand me enough. She falsely advertises herself as being "client centered." I don't even know if most therapists really know what "client centered" means in a deep sense.

The Zoom group therapy got boring.

The caregiving was just depressing after a while, even when I was just working 12 hours a week. So I quit that yesterday.

The tai chi instructor was as weird to me as my individual therapist.

Now I am just going to focus on my graduate work, computer projects, chickens, dogs, cats, helping the elderly neighbor, home improvement, etc. And I still have a short vacation with my husband in early June. The resort has an Olympic pool, so I will get plenty of brain-boosting exercise.

Last edited:

gooblax

MVP
I'm sorry to hear that @Daniel.

Do you think any of the triggers could be worked through, given a bit of space from them? Do you want to talk about some strategies for them here?

It could be like some shares on the stockmarket where the overall trend across multiple years is a gradual positive, but fluctuates when you just look at particular days/months - you bought these shares not too long ago, they had a good initial trend, but they've hit a rough patch. I'm not sure how bad the rough patch is, but perhaps there's a way to make it less painful to hold the shares in the short term, so that over the longer term their value will increase. You've had rough patches with other shares before and sold them all at a loss, but what would it be like if you could hold out through the down-trend and see them through to the next upswing?

For example, maybe you'd be able to get your therapist on the same page to eventually understand you better... Perhaps I'm just biased, but we know that my therapist was previously triggering me a whole lot, and now it's significantly reduced thanks to certain measures I've put in place and some changes my therapist started making. Maybe you and your therapist could come up with some ways so that sessions won't keep triggering you, and things could go back to being generally supportive and non-stupid.

I guess that's just what struck me about it anyway, even if it might seem overly optimistic.

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
The least triggering (and most pleasant experience) was the Zoom group therapy on neurodiversity, so I will go back to that on Tuesday when it meets again. The OCD group I will try again next Friday. At least with the Zoom groups, the therapist is outnumbered :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom