More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
What Are the Best ADHD Resources for Parents Today?
by Nathaly Pesantez, ADDitude
Nov 26, 2019

Q: "What new ADHD information is available that is different than 20 years ago? I raised an ADHD step-son and now face that again with my 9 year old." ~ ASmith

I love this question! When my son was diagnosed more than 15 years ago, there existed few ADHD resources for parents to help us untangle his condition both at home and at school. I vividly remember looking in my town's public library for anything I could find on ADHD. Today – with the help of the internet, social media, and an increased awareness of ADHD – we have far better access to ADHD experts, research, and information - much of it available for free.

Since our understanding of ADHD has grown so markedly since the last time you were in the trenches, I thought it might be helpful to provide a list of my favorite resources. These are the sources of information that I most trust and consistently recommend to my Order Out Of Chaos community. Browse the list below to see which ones best fit your needs and take a deeper dive into the content they provide. (Please note: Out of respect to my colleagues, I'm not going to suggest or recommend a specific expert.)

CHADD
Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder was founded in response to the frustration and isolation experienced by parents and their children with ADHD. With chapters all over the country, CHADD connects families to one another and provides education, advocacy, and ADHD support. The group also sponsors an annual conference featuring the preeminent experts in ADHD. Individual and family memberships, which cost $53 per year, grant you access to your local chapter. This is the best way to connect with local resources and find people with whom you can share and connect.

ADDitude
For me, ADDitude was the mother ship calling me home! When my son was first diagnosed, I consulted the magazine for advice and reassurance frequently. Fifteen years later, and even as one of their "experts," it's still my Number One go-to for answers to some of my toughest questions as a parent and as a professional. A tip within a tip: Sign up for ADDitude's ADHD Expert webinars. They're first rate, chock-full of useful information, and always presented in a really easy and digestible manner.

Order Out Of Chaos
This is, admittedly, a bit of self-promotion. I started my company Order Out of Chaos 16 years ago, when my son was newly diagnosed. Our mission is to provide hands-on education, guidance, and coaching to parents and students through customized products and programs, workshops, and webinars. Our goal is to help all children – both neurotypical and with learning issues – develop the skills they need to experience success in learning and in life. Our parenting hub offers access to tons of free tips and tools to help your child.

LD OnLine
LD OnLine provides accurate and up-to-date information and advice about learning disabilities and ADHD. The site features hundreds of helpful articles, monthly columns by noted experts, a comprehensive resource guide, and very active forums.

About Leslie Josel
ADHD Family Coach Leslie Josel, of Order Out of Chaos, will answer questions from ADDitude readers about everything from paper clutter to disaster-zone bedrooms and from mastering to-do lists to arriving on time every time.

Submit your questions to the ADHD Family Coach here!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.