• Quote of the Day
    "There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered."
    Nelson Mandela, posted by Daniel

Thelostchild

Depression was one thing but the more I think about it. Bipolar is something else. it really makes me not want to have kids at all, just because I don't want to have to inherit any of this to a child? Why can't more people think like me? Never mind that question I know the answer. :roll:

David Baxter

Administrator
While there is undoubtedly a genetic vulnerability for disorders such as depression, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, and even schizophrenia, it is far from a one-to-one relationship. If you have bipolar disorder, it's true that statistically this means there is a greater risk for your child to develop bipolar disorder, depression, or an anxiety disorder - but there is a much greater chance that the child will not have that problem.

Peanut

Plus--all the good things you have to pass down probably outweigh the bad ones...people can have mental and/or physical abnormalities or disorders and still have a great meaningful and fulfilling life!

Top Bottom