More threads by NightOwl

NightOwl

Today I started out feeling reasonably low and so decided to start by using a book I bought called "Ten Days to self-Esteem" by David D. Burns; on the tick boxes for depression and anxiety I got a relatively high score, which didn't surprise me; I then went on to read from his Feeling Good book and putting some of the things I've learned about changing my thoughts into practise, but somewhere along the line, my mind started drifting into pleasant daydreams about the positive things in my life and how I felt about them.

As I came out of my daydreams, my mood had lifted into feeling positive and happy; I'm sure if I did the tick boxes again I'd get a very different score on the depression box.

How do CBT and positive daydreams work together? Are they both working on the same principle? One is with active thought trying to change things, and one is more letting the mind take over with pleasant thoughts.

Many thanks :)

NightOwl

Day dreaming gives you the positive feelings the emotions that come out of the CBT treatments i suppose. Day dreaming is relaxing calming almost like slow breathing technique i use.
that is my take on it anyways take care.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I don't know about daydreams. But anything with the "positive" adjective reminds me of positive psychology. Like CBT, positive psychology can be good for preventing some negative mood events.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
NightOwl said:
Are they both working on the same principle? One is with active thought trying to change things, and one is more letting the mind take over with pleasant thoughts.

Of course, daydreaming can be about change, too:

Boost creativity and achieve goals. The beauty of daydreams is that nothing is impossible. "I used to daydream about seeing my book in print," says Jen Singer, author of 14 Hours 'Til Bedtime: A Stay-at-Home Mom's Life in 27 Funny Little Stories. "And now it is. I find that when I aim high while daydreaming, I end up working harder to make my dreams become realities. Lately I've been daydreaming about being on The Today Show or Ellen."

Olympic athletes and performers use this same kind of visualization, which has been shown to help their performance in the way that actual physical practice does.

Why Does Daydreaming Get Such a Bad Rap?

Violet said:
Day dreaming is relaxing calming almost like slow breathing technique i use. that is my take on it

That is a good point, Violet:

Relax. Like meditation, daydreaming allows your mind to take a break, a mini-vacation in which to release tension and anxiety and "return" refreshed. It's also very useful for controlling anxiety and phobias. Say, for example, that you're afraid of flying, which you have to do for an upcoming trip. By mentally rehearsing the various steps involved -- driving to the airport, getting on the plane, taking off, etc. -- you'll be better able to handle the actual events. It also helps to practice deep breathing anytime a certain thought makes you tense.

Why Does Daydreaming Get Such a Bad Rap?

BTW:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Ev...qvD3DQ&cd=1#v=onepage&q=cbt daydreams&f=false

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.