More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Challenging Your Rumination
by Robert L. Leahy, PhD

• Do you tend to ruminate—to repeat a negative thought over and over in your head?
• How does your rumination make sense to you? What do you hope to gain from ruminating?
• What are the disadvantages of ruminating? Do you notice that it makes you feel anxious or regretful?
• Realize that you can tolerate uncertainty and accept ambivalence—your own and other people's.
• Rumination is a quest to make sense of what's past—but why does the past have to make sense? Would you be better off accepting reality as it is?
• Will rumination solve your problem? Are there other problems you could be solving in the real world instead?
• If you can't turn off your rumination, you can limit it. Set aside five minutes for "rumination time."
• Write down your ruminating thoughts and see how they repeat themselves over and over again.
• Your mind can only be in one place at a time. Shift your attention away from your rumination and onto something else.
• Ask yourself, When I ruminate, what am I missing in life?
• Practice mindful awareness to stand back from your mind, observing thoughts as they come and go.
• When a thought intrudes, don't fight it, but don't follow it. Accept its presence, and go on with your life.

excerpted from: Beat the Blues Before They Beat You: How to Overcome Depression

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Why Ruminating is Unhealthy and How to Stop | World of Psychology

How To Reduce Rumination

According to Nolen-Hoeksema, there are essentially two steps to stop or minimize rumination.

1. Engage in activities that foster positive thoughts. “You need to engage in activities that can fill your mind with other thoughts, preferably positive thoughts,” she said.

That could be anything from a favorite physical activity to a hobby to meditation to prayer. “The main thing is to get your mind off your ruminations
for a time so they die out and don’t have a grip on your mind,” she advised.

2. Problem-solve. People who ruminate not only replay situations in their head, they also focus on abstract questions, such as, “Why do these things happen to me?” and “What’s wrong with me that I can’t cope?” Nolen-Hoeksema said.

Even if they consider solving the situation, they conclude that “there is nothing they can do about it.”

Instead, when you can think clearly, “identify at least one concrete thing you could do to overcome the problem(s) you are ruminating about.” For instance, if you’re uneasy about a situation at work, commit to calling a close friend so you can brainstorm solutions.

-----