More threads by texasgirl

My psychiatrist changed my medicine to add Invega and Cogentin. Does anybody know anything about Invega? I was taking Risperdal. He said that he is giving me the Cogentin because of incontrollable tremors in my left hand from all the antipsychotic medication over the years. He said he is changing the medication because of paranoia symptoms.

TG

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I learned a little about Invega recently when it was prescribed for a client by his psychiatrist. Interestingly, it is said to have anti-obsessional properties.

Thank you everyone. I read alot of the comments from patients taking the drug and about half were negative. I am most worried (and my doctor is too) about increased diabetes problems which I have from the meds that I have been on for so long, more EPS problems which I have from the years of medications, and weight gain/leg swelling. He is going to see me once a week and take blood tests to try to see what the effects will be. I think that my body is just tired of so many years of these drugs but I don't know what else to do. I will let you know. Thank you for your help -

Take care,

TG

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I read alot of the comments from patients taking the drug and about half were negative.

But that's to be expected given the nature of those sites. That's why I generally advise people not to go there. Generally speaking, people who post on such sites are people who've experienced unpleasant side effects. That's true regardless of the medication.

People who take exactly the same medications and who don't experience any side effects (which is typically the majority of people) and for whom the medication works well don't seek out these sites or post on them.

Bottom line: What you're reading there is a very skewed and biased sample of overall experience with that medication.

I got the medicine today and almost freaked out. It cost $149.00. I am not sure that I can afford this. But I am going to take it and see.

FYI,

TG

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Oh my Texas Girl. Do you not have prescription benefits? That is expendsive.

Regarding going to the sites with people being anti-meds. I have happened upon those sites myself before when looking into side effects of new medications as well. I tend to stick to to reading the drug fact sheets. Everyone is different and reacts differently to meds.

I have had minor, negative side effects from taking antibiotics, where others don't feel any negative effects from them at all.

It is good your doctor is doing blood work on you too. Mine does to just make sure too. :support:

Believe it or not, this cost is WITH prescription benefits. Who knows what it would cost without.

In any case, I took it and I am not feeling bad so far - just some muscle discomfort. We will see how it goes.

Thank you for your response. I agree that everyone is different.

Take care,

TG

Re: Reaction to New Medication

Well, I started the new meds last week, and I began to have hives, shortness of breath, and my feet swelled twice their size. I called my doctor today and he changed the medicine again. Have any of you ever had this kind of reaction to psych meds?

Sorry I haven't posted very much this week....

TG :(

Not to psych meds but to antibiotics i ended up emergancy department with swelling of my face tongue hives all over what a mess. Im glad you got a hold of your doctor and are switching you medications. I hope the next ones are more tolerable for you take care mary

Jazzey

Account Closed

Well, I started the new meds last week, and I began to have hives, shortness of breath, and my feet swelled twice their size. I called my doctor today and he changed the medicine again. Have any of you ever had this kind of reaction to psych meds?

Sorry I haven't posted very much this week....

TG :(

Sorry to hear that you had this reaction TG. That sounds terrible. But as Mary suggested, it almost sounds as if you're having an allergic reaction or maybe a side effect, or again, a reaction with another prescription...Did your doctor tell you what this might me? Is it an allergy?

I'm happy that he's now changed the medications. But I'd still ask him for his thoughts on why you reacted the way that you did.

As for not posting much - don't worry TG. Just take good care of yourself first. Whether you're here posting or not - you're still in our thoughts. :) :hug:

He did say that he was particularly concerned about my being allergic to the medicine and told me to go get some Benadryl immediately to take which I did and that if the symptoms didn't subside to go to the ER. Anyway, I picked up the new (for me an old medicine that I used to do well on) prescription. Thank you all for your kind words. I think I am ok.

Take care all,

TG

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.