More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Children and teens with Social Anxiety Disorder have an excessive fear of social and/or performance situations. They are overly concerned that they may do something embarrassing or humiliating, or others will think badly of them. These children constantly feel "on stage," which can lead to a great deal of self-consciousness.
  • Social anxiety disorder usually begins in adolescence.
  • It can develop suddenly after a stressful or humiliating experience or slowly over time.
  • An equal number of girls and boys experience social anxiety.
  • Some of the problems associated with social anxiety disorder include poor school performance, low confidence in social situations, trouble developing and maintaining friendships, and depression.
Click below to read more...

Anxiety BC - Social Anxiety Disorder | Anxiety BC

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Same problem, pretty much, and the therapy is the same (CBT). As the video suggests, this stuff can last a lifetime since the avoidance behavior is self-reinforcing. (I was very shy as a kid, would throw away birthday party invitations before my mom could see them, dreaded having to find a new buddy for the "buddy system," and wouldn't use the restrooms at school.)

Adults can obviously get more benefits from traditional cognitive therapy than children but everyone (even animals) can benefit from exposure/behavior therapy. And even with child anxiety, there are ways of talking to kids that are basically the same things a therapist would suggest to an adult:

We need to teach the Worry Mosquito to quiet down and learn that birthday parties can be scary at first, but after a few minutes you get used to it and find fun things to do. So let's practice what happens at birthday parties -- how to say hi, how to decide what you want to do first. That will show the Worry Mosquito that you're the boss!!

Freeing Your Child from Anxiety: Powerful, Practical Solutions to Overcome Your Child's Fears, Worries, and Phobias

Similarly in adults:

Typical Themes Associated with the Anxious-Awkward Social Style

Painful Shyness in Children and Adults

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

On the positive side:

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/shyness-and-social-anxiety/4418-the-rewards-of-being-shy.html

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/shyness-and-social-anxiety/26804-shyness-evolutionary-tactic.html

AmZ

Thanks for the links Daniel. I'm taking a look.

It's very difficult. I have no friends and just can't 'get myself out there' and meet people. My sister had this girl she worked with who has just moved the the area I live in and my sister is trying to put me in touch with her and I am avoiding her. I complain about having no friends and connections, but this girl would be perfect for that!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.