More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel I listen to about 1 hour and 10 minute it is amazing. I will listen to the rest tomorow and when I am not so tired. But listening to the session helped me understand what is going on in my life and why I feel rejected a lot. So thank you for posting this.

Sue

---------- Post added at 02:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Daniel could you post me some links of article about rejection and how it may make a person just want to give up on life. I never thought I was giving up on life till now when I think about I am not taking care of my house and myself. I just let eveything go because part of me has given up on life. This audio has me realized that. I have gone to the soup kitchen 3 times this week while I am off work so that I would have at least one hot meal a day. Thanks again for posting this link.

Sue

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
rejection and how it may make a person just want to give up on life
Well, DBT, for example, is a form of CBT, so from a cognitive therapy point of view:

"What are you telling yourself to make yourself suicidal? You largely constructed your depression. It wasn't given to you. Therefore, you can deconstruct it. What do you think you're telling yourself to make yourself this way?" We'd get the client to admit things like, "I don't like my life," and then we'd say, "Yeah, but that wouldn't induce you to commit suicide. What else are you telling yourself?" And that's when clients say things like, "It shouldn't be the way it is. It's terrible that I failed. I'm no good." That's when we hear the shoulds, the oughts and the musts, and then we convince the client to abandon these irrational demands. Our slogan is, "I will not should on myself today."

~ Albert Ellis

The Inner Voice that Drives Suicide
Holding this belief when faced with adversity tends to contribute to feelings of anxiety, panic, depression, despair, and worthlessness:

"I absolutely MUST, under practically all conditions and at all times, perform well (or outstandingly well) and win the approval (or complete love) of significant others. If I fail in these important?and sacred?respects, that is awful and I am a bad, incompetent, unworthy person, who will probably always fail and deserves to suffer."

Holding this belief when faced with adversity tends to contribute to feelings of anger, rage, fury, and vindictiveness:

"Other people with whom I relate or associate, absolutely MUST, under practically all conditions and at all times, treat me nicely, considerately and fairly. Otherwise, it is terrible and they are rotten, bad, unworthy people who will always treat me badly and do not deserve a good life and should be severely punished for acting so abominably to me."

Holding this belief when faced with adversity tends to contribute to frustration and discomfort, intolerance, self-pity, anger,depression, and to behaviors such as procrastination, avoidance, and inaction:

"The conditions under which I live absolutely MUST, at practically all times, be favorable, safe, hassle-free, and quickly and easily enjoyable, and if they are not that way it's awful and horrible and I can't bear it. I can't ever enjoy myself at all. My life is impossible and hardly worth living."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationa...havior_therapy

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

More generally:

Dealing with the Pain of Romantic Breakups: Some Research-Informed Suggestions | Psychology Today

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/ending-r...ng-a-broken-heart-the-pain-of-heartbreak.html

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/self-est...-or-flight-response-with-low-self-esteem.html

Thank You Daniel I will read some of those links late. The quotes you posted are exactly what I need to read. I have to get ready to go to the soup kit
PHP:
chen for lunch because Its New Years they are open today but I just woke up so I am not sure I can drive yet.

Thanks again I might print some of these quotes for my DR appointment on Thursday with my shrink.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.