More threads by Angie

Angie

I just visited a psychatrist today for the first time. I told her my symptoms, which included a hyper acting nature (which is perfect for my career choice), fidgity ways, lack of organization, mood swings, over sensitive emotions. She prescribed 0.5mg Clonazepan and 25mg Lamictal. They make me sleepy! I am scared I will not function as wired at work as I did before. I am on a week vaction right now. Will they change over the next few days or is there a better drug. I know I need something to help me change my symptoms, but I dont want to be so slow. :geek:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Most likely you will adapt to them in a short while. If the clonazepam makes you sleepy, you can take it at night when you want to be sleepy. That way about half of it will have worn off by morning or midday.

What instructions did the doctor give you for the Lamictal, as to when to take it? If it's only once per day, you could probably take both at night. Check with the doctor before making any changes to her receommendations, though.

Angie

She said take it twice a day. She didnt really say when. Just twice a day. Does it make you sleepy too. I DONT like being sleepy except at night. My work is demanding, and I am on my feet all day in heels no less, so it is imperitive to have lots of energy!

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

:2thumbs:love the quote Daniel!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Sleepiness can be a side effect of lamictal too, although 25 mg (x2) is a relatively low dose.

I agree with Daniel that it's probably the clonazepam. If you find it's making you sleepy during the day even if taken at night, try breaking the tablets in half until you get used to it.

Angie

ok! So I am going to take it at night! I think this will help. Does it stay in your system that long? Will it help my fidgety nature? Will it help my moodswings? Meaning will it make me less irritated? What would the main purpose of the lamictal be?
I read alot of people having anxiety attacks and panic disorders taking these drugs. I dont have those.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think the half-life of clonazepam is about 16-18 hours, but it peaks at about 1-3 hours after you take it. That means if you take 0.5 mg at night, it will still be in your system the next day but at lower levels in your bloodstream - usually not enough to make you sleepy, at least once you get used to taking it.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
ok! So I am going to take it at night! I think this will help. Does it stay in your system that long? Will it help my fidgety nature? Will it help my moodswings? Meaning will it make me less irritated? What would the main purpose of the lamictal be?

Lamictal is generally used as a mood stabilizer, to limit the highs and lows in bipolar disorder or cyclothymia. And yes, it will help to make you less irritable. The clonazepam will also reduce your anxiety and that will also help to reduce irritability.

I read alot of people having anxiety attacks and panic disorders taking these drugs. I dont have those.

Individuals with bipolar disorder often do experience some agitation and anxiety, which is why the clonazepam is prescribed. It may also be prescribed to help your sleep quality.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think the half-life of clonazepam is about 16-18 hours, but it peaks at about 1-3 hours after you take it. That means if you take 0.5 mg at night, it will still be in your system the next day but at lower levels in your bloodstream - usually not enough to make you sleepy, at least once you get used to taking it.

Correction: Steve (TSOW) has rightly informed that the half-life of clonazepam is longer than I stated, up to 30 hours, so it may take up to a week or so before the sleepiness starts to subside. As noted, if you find it's too much, you can ask your doctor about breaking the tablet in half and taking .25 mg until you get used to it.

unionmary

I weaned from lamictal just this year,,,it was indeed the drug for me,,,set my imbalance straight? or gave me the courage to set my imbalance straight?

I prefer NO drugs, I am able to "really feel", I think i like this!! Think the drugs zombified me, lol.

All good so far,,,got a support system, and it works for me!!!

Banned

Banned
Most of us would prefer no drugs, myself being one of those people. The reality for many of us though, is that if our moods are not within a reasonable range, then drugs are needed to regulate our moods.

I am on meds, and I can definitely "feel". In fact, I can feel better than ever before, because my brain has slowed down enough to let me think and process things.

There are different options in order to not feel "zombified" by the drugs. I don't dispute that that's not a good feeling, but working with a doctor or psychiatrist can often help eliminate or reduce many of the side effects.

For myself, I started on one med and it was fine except for one side effect I didn't like. By adding a low dose of another med, it got rid of 99% of that side effect.

There are definitely solutions for most side effects, and while I think it's great that you've managed to get yourself to a place where you don't feel you need meds at this point, I think it's important to stress that for the majority of people struggling with mood disorders, meds really are vital.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I weaned from lamictal just this year,,,it was indeed the drug for me,,,set my imbalance straight? or gave me the courage to set my imbalance straight?

I prefer NO drugs, I am able to "really feel", I think i like this!! Think the drugs zombified me, lol.

No, they didn't. It probably felt like that to you - that's an unfortunate characteristic of bipolar disorder, and one of the primary reasons individuals with bipolar disorder are noncompliant with recommended medications.

I can pretty much guarantee that those around you didn't see it the same way, though.

Andy

MVP
No, they didn't. It probably felt like that to you - that's an unfortunate characteristic of bipolar disorder, and one of the primary reasons individuals with bipolar disorder are noncompliant with recommended medications.

I can pretty much guarantee that those around you didn't see it the same way, though.

I can agree with this. I feel a little "slow" on my meds sometimes but I feel that wayI think because I was use to having a lot of speedy, crzy thoughts.

As far as bieng compliant with meds I just got in a little argument with my dad today because I want to quit some meds and he wants me to stay on them because apparently this combo is the best he has seen me on in years, and I see it differently...I have no idea where I was going with that...sorry

Medication saved my life. Not to be darmatic but it really did.

(I hope some of that makes sense)

Banned

Banned
We often can't see the changes and impacts our meds have on us, but those around us can. I know for myself as well there was a time when I said they weren't working and I was going off them, but others could see the change. Having an objective view is really beneficial and I'm glad your dad was able to give you that feedback.

And, I think you make an important point about how having crazy, speedy thoughts (which isn't normal) makes "normal" seem slow...I totally understand...again, an objective opinion I think is key here.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.