More threads by 4electros

4electros

Hello,
I've been suffering from a compulsive gambling problem for a few months.The real thing is that I had OCD disorders for some years,tried to get rid of the compulsive thoughts by working on them.I've just became realized of my real problem two years ago.So I think that delaying of the healing process after all these years has triggered the new gambling compulsive disorder.I'm now totally aware of my problem,but I need advice and help.

Thanks in advance!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's not unusual for obsessions or compulsive behaviors to "morph" over time to different worries or different behaviors.

I had OCD disorders for some years,tried to get rid of the compulsive thoughts by working on them

How did you do this? Medications? Therapy? Self-help? And how successful were you in the attempt?

4electros

I was going to a psychiatrist and telling her about my general anxiety and repetitive thoughts, so she gave me prozac . I read the prescription paper and got to know it's for OCD. Then I read about OCD and finally bought Dr.schwartz book. I think the book is much more important than medication,because after taking one whole tablet, I threw it away.

Well,i'm not saying that i'm completely recovery from my OCD,but at least know what exactly OCD is , call OCD as an urge,and blame compulsive thoughts on my brain. I was overly blaming myself for having such thoughts to the extent that there is really something wrong with me .Gambling doesn't exist in my original country, so when got to europe ,and after a few months being there, i began to gamble. I wasn't sure, however, of what I was doing.I thought it maybe just some kind of exciting,although i've felt really in pain after each loss.One day I've come through some urges of OCD in the books,of course one of them was gambling .I've done it however for a few times after that , while walking happily in the street. Finally had the desire to post here and ask for help. Thank you for everything you do in this forum.

If you need any more details,I would be glad :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
In my experience, with OCD it's often necessary to treat it with both medication and therapy, espeically when the individual is under stress or there is a "flare-up" of obsessive thinking or compulsions for some other reason.

You might want to consider seeking help again.

4electros

In my experience, with OCD it's often necessary to treat it with both medication and therapy, espeically when the individual is under stress or there is a "flare-up" of obsessive thinking or compulsions for some other reason.

You might want to consider seeking help again.

That's right.Especially that I'm also obssesed about obssesion.Could you give me a note about possible therapy? I'm so eager about getting to a real solution.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.