More threads by W00BY

W00BY

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Creativity 'closely entwined with mental illness'
By Michelle Roberts, Health editor, BBC News online
October 16, 2012

Creativity is often part of a mental illness, with writers particularly susceptible, according to a study of more than a million people.

Writers had a higher risk of anxiety and bipolar disorders, schizophrenia, unipolar depression, and substance abuse, the Swedish researchers at the Karolinska Institute found. They were almost twice as likely as the general population to kill themselves.

The dancers and photographers were also more likely to have bipolar disorder.

As a group, those in the creative professions were no more likely to suffer from psychiatric disorders than other people. But they were more likely to have a close relative with a disorder, including anorexia and, to some extent, autism, the Journal of Psychiatric Research reports.

Lead researcher Dr Simon Kyaga said the findings suggested disorders should be viewed in a new light and that certain traits might be beneficial or desirable.

For example, the restrictive and intense interests of someone with autism and the manic drive of a person with bipolar disorder might provide the necessary focus and determination for genius and creativity. Similarly, the disordered thoughts associated with schizophrenia might spark the all-important originality element of a masterpiece.

Dr Kyaga said: "If one takes the view that certain phenomena associated with the patient's illness are beneficial, it opens the way for a new approach to treatment. "In that case, the doctor and patient must come to an agreement on what is to be treated, and at what cost. In psychiatry and medicine generally there has been a tradition to see the disease in black-and-white terms and to endeavour to treat the patient by removing everything regarded as morbid."

Beth Murphy, head of information at Mind, said bipolar disorder personality traits could be beneficial to those in creative professions, but it may also be that people with bipolar disorder are more attracted to professions where they can use their creative skills. "It is important that we do not romanticise people with mental health problems, who are too often portrayed as struggling creative geniuses. We know that one in four people will be diagnosed with a mental health problem this year and that these individuals will come from a range of different backgrounds, professions and walks of live. Our main concern is that they get the information and support that they need and deserve."

---------- Post Merged at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:34 PM ----------

I come from a very artistic family, I myself write, paint and was a child prodigy musically, I still play and obsessively collect music.

It would be nice if this research helped creative types with emotional difficulties to be accepted more on their talents rather than the consideration that say an employer may need to have for an employee with depression.

It would nice if the model I was speaking about in another thread where in Glasgow (Scotland)there is a initiative to employ school leavers with autism in careers that use autistic traits ,like good time keeping, eye for detail and exactitude etc and this model was used for people who are creative but suffer depression, bipolar etc.

It would W00BY. Maybe we will get there someday and realize that all people have worth based on their value as a human being rather than whether they fit some preconceived notion of "normal."

Katieann

Hey Wooby... I totally appreciate your comments on the relationship between artistry and mental illness... my thinking is that
this might the chicken and the egg thing... this is why certain individuals are compelled to express themselves through the arts -
precisely because they cannot through other regular/normal activities.... my Dad used to comment on how amazing it was that
so many gay guys were involved in the arts... Not a mystery. Where else would they be afforded the freedom to be themselves
and offer up what they have to say?

Katieann

Interesting. My father discouraged and sometimes forbid his boys from engaging in arts as a form of expression. We were supposed to play football and go hunting with guns - that was how you became a man. Not even baseball or basketball would do. Football and hunting. I liked hunting but more because I liked the woods than because I liked killing things. I loved the beauty of the forest. I still do.

W00BY

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I wonder how much untapped talent there is that lies buried underneath manliness?

My eldest son as stated else where in the forum has speech, communication, behavioral and learning difficulties and is on the autistic spectrum.

He is a fantastic artist with a detailed and very exact drawing style but he only ever drew tanks and planes and guns, I hope one day he taps this talent as he has never bothered developing it... all in the name of manliness!

To him art is not macho enough, he wants to lift weights and box etc which is good for him too but even his siblings can't understand how he can be that good at something and not want to do it.

I have met many young men over the years who have talents they don't want to exercise for fear of seeming less manly.

I wonder how much untapped talent there is that lies buried underneath manliness?

My eldest son as stated else where in the forum has speech, communication, behavioral and learning difficulties and is on the autistic spectrum.

He is a fantastic artist with a detailed and very exact drawing style but he only ever drew tanks and planes and guns, I hope one day he taps this talent as he has never bothered developing it... all in the name of manliness!

To him art is not macho enough, he wants to lift weights and box etc which is good for him too but even his siblings can't understand how he can be that good at something and not want to do it.

I have met many young men over the years who have talents they don't want to exercise for fear of seeming less manly.

I think it is considerable if we would do away with stereotypes. My middle son has Asperger's Syndrome. He is considered to have a disability, but he has some real talents and abilities. He just doesn't fit the mold.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.