• Quote of the Day
    "There is no better exercise for your heart than reaching down and helping to lift someone up."
    Bernard Meltzer, posted by HBas

Jesse910

MVP
I've never said anything about this because I thought that I could manage it and eventually get over it. There are times in both individual therapy and marriage counseling that I simply freeze and go inside of myself because the subject matter is too hard to deal with. Some stuff happened to me when I was a kid that still has a hold on me. It makes it difficult for me be close with my husband and other people. Coupled with this, about 4-5 years ago, my husband forced himself on me and when we're together, I have to pretend like I'm someone else and go away. Afterwards, I'm like this stupid, jerk kid who feels ashamed that I can't get my act together. I have the knowledge of what I'm suppose to do to overcome this. Yet, it's more than a notion. Has anyone out there learned to get past dissociation when old wounds crop up?

Last edited:
is your therapist aware of this freezing up you do? if not, i think it would be helpful to tell him/her. they can probably help you with this.

braveheart

I sometimes dissociate in therapy too. Ultimately I find it really really therapeutic though, as my therapist and I work through it, in a safe place.
It's important that trauma therapy is both gentle and firm, to help manage sensitive material.

Jesse910

MVP
Dear Into the Light and Braveheart:

Yes, both my individual therapist and marriage counselor know that I dissociate and are working with me to resolve it. Parts of me just want to get this issue resolved and move on a lot quicker than I'm going. I've read various articles on the subject and feel that if I can figure this out then I can help myself resolve the fears. Yet, in reality, it doesn't work. I just want the situation to be better. Thanks for responding.

Top Bottom