More threads by ChattyPenguin

( This isn't a grief problem, more a traumatic event problem, so feel free to move to another category. )
A few weeks ago my neighbour found a dead body. The lady had been dead a couple of days, not a friend, but a client
She's now having nightmares.
I don't know what to say to her.
She isn't on the internet, nor does she have any sort of medical coverage.
Any suggested readings / websites ?
I've suggested she get a counsellor, and if things get worse I'll get more serious about this suggestion. I figure much of this is a normal, healthy way of processing something traumatic.
Thanks,
Chatty Penguin

Retired

As noted, the topic of your post seems more aligned with post traumatic stress, as some of the strategies for dealing with PTSD might be appropriate for your friend, to some lighter degree, of course.

An srticle I thought might shed some helpful suggestions could be: How to cope after a traumatic event

You might print the article and bring it to your friend.

Is she feeling comfortable talking to you about her experience?

Thanks very much Steve. Yes, PTSD is a closer match.
I've copied the article and am editing it to remove the more military aspects. She's not very well educated so if I do decide to give it to her (rather than just discuss things with her), I don't want her thrown by some of the terms she's heard on the radio that may scare her.

Retired

Have a look at the attached :acrobat: more concise help article without many of the "military" sounding references from the CDC which may be more appropriate for this lady.

Attachments

• coping.pdf
    142.1 KB · Views: 5
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.