More threads by Vinton

Vinton

I was hospitalized last year for major depression and was put on 20 mgs cipralex..Last week I saw my psy and he changed it for cymbalta,...Hope it will work..

I've had problems all my life and it runs in the family. My mom has depression and OCD which I was also diagnosed with....

I'm scared but still have hope that cymbalta will work.

I have no appetite. I have to force myslef to eat and sleep 10 hours per day.

My psy is involved in research and there is a new med coming soon for clinical trial for major depression.

I'm looking for suppport during this transition. He told me that it would work much better that cipralex which was prescribed during my hopital stay.

Thanks

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: depression is tough

Are you also still seeing a psychologist? If not, can you go back to seeing your psychologist or get on a waiting list to see a therapist? I know Catholic Family Services offers mental health counseling throughout North America.

Retired

Hello Vinton, I am glad to see you visiting us at Psychlinks again.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are currently experiencing, but when it comes to eating and exercise, even though you don't feel very much like doing either, this would be a good time to reach into your innnermost courage that I know you have, to take one step at a time (literally) to keep your circulation and muscle tone active, and even though your usual meal may not be appealing, consider a little munching or grazing during the day.

A little salad might help, add a few legumes or red beans to your salad, or perhaps a poched or boiled egg to get your protein. Try a bit of breakfast with a bit of Bran or oatmeal to add some fiber to your intake. Drink as much water as you feel comfortable with, to help flush your kidneys and to aid in your digestion.

The makers of Cymbalta claim their medication not only targets the neurotransmitters thought to be responsible for depression, but also help relieve some of the physical symptoms associated with depression.

Has your doctor prescribed a medication to help you get to sleep, Vinton?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

I have no appetite. I have to force myslef to eat and sleep 10 hours per day.
Regarding doing the opposite of how you feel (forcing yourself, as you say), it is a good thing to continue trying to be active like TSOW says. A therapist could help you with that, of course. The hardest part is usually the beginning, like the first few seconds of waking up or starting to go outside by putting on one's shoes.

Similarly:

The principle use of opposite action (Linehan, 1993) is teaching clients to block avoidance with increased activity. When clients complain of feeling fatigued, for example, they are asked whether sleeping makes them feel more refreshed or lethargic...If they feel more fatigued, then the need for sleep may be avoidance behavior.

Mindfulness and acceptance ... - Google Books
Avoidance and/or compulsions (both mental and physical rituals) reduce discomfort, albeit only temporarily, thereby strengthening the compulsions or avoidance behavior. It’s as if you are teaching your mind and body that the only way to reduce discomfort is through ritualizing or avoidance.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/15257-facing-fears.html

Hi Vinton glad you reached out for some support. Just wanted to say hi and hopes the new change in medication works favorable for you. A psychologist helps also with dealing with depression Therapy and medication together seems to work the best. take care

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.