More threads by NightOwl

NightOwl

How much does the Psychiatrist's / Psychologist's / Doctor's own professional qualifications and views affect the diagnosis and treatment of a patient?

This is only a hypothetical question - if a patient is showing many symptoms, e.g. stress, nightmares, panic attacks, poor lifestyle etc, do you think it is likely that they will focus in on their own specialty and therefore mis-diagnose and treat the patient inappropriately?

Many thanks in advance.

NightOwl

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Given that there is some subjectivity in DSM diagnosis, I think it's possible. I don't think it's rampant, though, and it really shouldn't occur with a competent health professional.

I am curious as to what prompted the question though. :)

NightOwl

Thanks very much for your answer David. The reason for my question is that I suffered a serious trauma and I have now been diagnosed with PTSD; originally I went down the route of substance abuse, trying to cope on my own, (it didn't work, I hasten to add), but the consultant originally dealing with the case appeared to miss the effects that the trauma had on me, e.g anxiety, nightmares, flashbacks etc, but he was very much involved in substance abuse, and I wondered if this could have had an influence on the way he viewed my case.

I'm now studying Psychology and am about to start a new course with the OU but while I'm waiting for the course to start, I'm also reading quite a lot; one of the books I have started reading is "Unsafe at any dose" by Bob Johson and I find this book thought-provoking. I've still to make up my mind on my views, hence the question.

NightOwl :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Do be cautious about books like that, Night Owl. Books like this make a lot of money forthe authors and do a lot of damage to mental health concumers. I disagree totally and absolutely with the claims such books make. They do so through very selective reviews of the relevant research, which amounts to discounting the positives and exaggerating the negatives.

Books with title like "Prozac will kill you!", usually in jackets with lurid jackets, attract attention and sell a lot more copies than books with titles like, "Listen to your doctor. S/he knows what s/he's doing" or "Medications can help". But science isn't about polularity and top 10 best seller lists.

It's especially distressing that high profile entertainers like Oprah help to push these products.

NightOwl

Thank you for your concerns about this type of book. The reason I was interested in this particular book is that it is written by Dr. Bob Johnson, a fully qualified Consultant Psychiatrist; I always try and keep an open mind and a balanced view on everything I read and I'm looking forward to the OU course I will be starting in early May.

NightOwl :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.