More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Don't succumb to self-neglect
By Edward T. Creagan, M.D., Mayo Clinic
February 5, 2008

It is human nature to seek comfort in times of crisis and peace in times of peril. Occasionally, a phrase, a quote, or a writing might provide clarity during times of peril. Let me explain.

Several months ago, I was offered the marvelous opportunity of addressing an audience of health care professionals on the issue of stress and burnout and resiliency in the face of adversity.

While preparing, I came across a quote from an obscure Web site, which in effect stated that our culture, our society, and many professions emphasize the notion of "self-neglect." So what does this mean?

If we are not proactive, if we do not take care of ourselves, if we do not create healthy boundaries between work and family life, without question, many of us can spend 18 hours a day in front our computer monitors or 18 hours a day solving the world problems or 18 hours a day trying to provide guidance and insight to troubled souls, and yet, the work never goes away.

A few months ago, a business consultant addressed one of our meetings here in Rochester, and he made the comment that at no time will the inbox be empty. There is always something to do; there is always a soul to be saved; there is always a presentation or a project to be updated. So what is the take-home message?

We have options and we have alternatives. We can sit in front of the television for 10 hours with a glazed-over look or we can consume too many calories, or we can carve out time to be with family and friends, to be physically active, and to recognize that when it comes to health and wellness our hands are on the helm and we need to take charge.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Spend your time wisely

Spend your time wisely
By Edward T. Creagan, M.D., Mayo Clinic
February 14, 2008

I certainly agree with many of you that at times the challenges and the frustrations of modern life are overwhelming. Our parents and grandparents had "stress," but it was a word that was rarely used so why is it now such a big deal?

My guess is that there are many answers to this question, but in my own world issues become magnified because of the press of technology. At one point, we could leave the firm, the foundry, the factory, or the office; head for home and not be bludgeoned by e-mails, faxes, and junk mail. There was a clear line between the workplace and home. Today, that line does not exist and many employees are expected to work 24/7 or be on call.

Our parents and grandparents often had the loving support of family, community, and faith systems. Houses of worship were the focal point of many communities. Families had dinners together and Sunday was indeed a sacred day to regenerate and rejuvenate. Today, Sunday for many individuals is just another day to go shopping and work.

So, what we are hearing is the need for self care; the need to recognize that there are many circumstances and situations over which we have no control; and the need to acknowledge and seek out that quiet place for introspection, prayer, and peace. If we do not create that space for ourselves, the world will take it from us. We need to be proactive, we need to be assertive, and we need to seek out positive, constructive, and nurturing relationships to sustain us as our journeys unfold.

Carl Sandburg, a famous American poet, made the comment that time is a precious coin, and we need to determine how we will spend it or others will spend it for us.

lallieth

We need to nurture ourselves first,so we are more able to nurture those around us. It's unfortunate that many today think it selfish to put themselves first,but I would consider it taking time for yourself is selfless.How can we have the energy to take care of other's when we don't take the time to recharge our own batteries?

We still have sunday family dinners,and we still foster family traditions,not just a christmas but throughout the week,because it's important to us to connect as a family as often as possible.

rosedragon

Why need to work like hell and push kids to study like hell if what you bring only stress to your life and their next life? You, and your family doesn't need money, fame, or even house to keep living..
It's like the popular story of fisherman who relax on the beach while the businessman say he can use it for catching more and more fishes which in the end just for another relax but with add: because feel save in terms of economy.
I seen many poor people in Indonesia, I see some rich people in Indonesia. I see those poor people enjoy their life while the rich ones keep stressing and worrying things. =)

moonriver

Thank you for the reminder, it is very important to take care of yourself.

Dr Baxter and the many great moderators and contributors, I hope you take care of yourself too, you spend many hours reading the posts and putting up information, I hope you all get some down time to do something nice for yourselfes too.......

Exucse my spelling, I feel extra mixed up on the spelling front today.

ladylore

Account Closed
Thank you moonriver - means alot. I get as so much out of this forum too. And yes, it is a diversion from my housework. :D

:hug:

Halo

Thank you Moonriver....that means a lot to hear and I too gain a lot from this forum as well. I don't do housework so its no diversion for me but it does keep me occupied and out of trouble :bad:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.