More threads by Kiki

Kiki

Since last year, my 16 years old autistic daughter is having this kind of eating disorder. She always throw up after having meals. A month later........I was able to stop her that habit and since then......it's almost a year now she has this kind of rumination syndrome. Ofcourse she never been officially diagnosed for there's no good doctor here in Japan. She now lost more than 22 pounds. Don't really know what would be my next step to do. But I'm glad I found this page and also finally found out what's going on with her.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Rumination Syndrome is not something I know very much about, but you may find some useful information here: rumination syndrome - Google Search.

Has your daughter been seen by someone with a specialty in internal medicine or the gastrointestinal system, to rule out a physical cause of this behavior?

Alternatively, a doctor or psychiatrist with a specialty in autism may be helpful, since this appears to have some links to autism: see rumination syndrome in autism - Google Search.

Retired

Kiki,

Although the circumstances in your situation are entirely different from the one discused in this previous Psychlinks discussion, you may find some additional insights there.

Have you checked with:

Autism Society Japan

Autism Treatment Center (Japanese version)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autism Partnership Inc.
3-20-2 Ebisu, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo ensemble de Plaza Building A
, Iwate 150-0013
Japan
03-6277-3220
Email: info@autismpartnershiptokyo.com
Web: Welcome!

Abacus + Benchmark Consulting Co., Ltd.
Whitson W. Brathwaite
2-1984-3 Ogawa-Cho Kodaira-Shi
Japan
042 316-9821; 042 316-9821 (fax)
Email: abacus@proof.ocn.ne.jp
Web:
Teaching and understanding basic needs of autistic individual
Read more: Autism Support Network

These resources from Autism Support Network

Kiki

Thanks, David. I've been searching here and there till I even reach here... just to find out about what exactly is going on with my daughter. Finally I searched and read about rumination syndrome which is exactly the name of the disorder. I already read different kinds of gastrointestinal problems. They have similar symptoms but rumination syndrome is the only problem with matched exactly to her.

Unfortunately, I have to diagnose her by myself this way. It's becuase here in Japan is very frustrating. No special doctor for autism or rumination disorder. If I will bring her to someone with a specialty in internal medicine or the gastrointestinal system, I know the answer.....they will just say "Ok take medication and let's take some med test or so.....observe....etc..." ending up with nothing but wasting time.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Hi Steve, thanks a lot for the links. I've just contacted them and requested an information and brochures from the sites you gave.:2thumbs:

jovanna

Have her tested for h. pylori. This can be done through a blood test. H. pylori is a bacteria in the stomach that can cause reflux and may lead to the development of ulcers. It is treated with antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor. You can also try Manuka honey (UMF 16 - 19), one TBS 3 X daily. Manuka honey helps to decrease h. pylori and aids in the healing of ulcers and acid reflux.

Allergy testing is also a good idea. Some people with autism are allergic to dairy or have gluten intolerances. You can try using rice milk instead of regular milk.

Some individuals with autism are also sensitive to the texture of food and may gag if eating something they dislike. One fellow I work with prefers foods with a pureed/minced texture.

Kiki

Hi Jovanna,

Thanks a lot for giving me an idea of what maybe the problem of my daughter. She've been tested already for pylori coz its the most common problem with japanese. So as allergy. But nothing wrong. I already tried the gluten / cassein free foods. I made a list in everything she ate but then everything is the same. She still ruminates. But yah.....I have to watch the texture of the food then. She might be sensitive for something. Again , thank you so much.

jovanna

Is your daughter on any meds that could be causing the reflux? Hiatal hernia can also produce this symptom. There is a correlation between asthma and acid reflux as well. If all medical causes have been ruled out, and the regurgitation is behavioural, perhaps try chewing gum as a replacement, if choking is not an issue. This has been suggested as an effective treatment in one study I read. For the weight loss, try supplementing her diet with Ensure or Boost.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.