More threads by jhgil26

jhgil26

Hi!

I am a person with obsessive personality disorder with various OCD, but among them from the group of mentally tormented.

I have believed in the philosophy of reincarnation for quite some time and the obsession that has robbed me of my life for years is suffering eternally physically in each reincarnation.

I would like to know if there are people in the same situation even if it didn't have the same characteristics.

In this sense, what could be done so that similar cases can be found? Do you have any forum, association, etc...?

I would greatly appreciate the help as I am in a situation of absolute solitude when it comes to this type of problem.

For me it's an emergency.

Greetings.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Hi!

Yes, eternal suffering/damnation was my first OCD theme (three decades ago as a teen when my evangelical beliefs intersected with my developing OCD). Basically, my fear was going to hell. Even though I believed I was "saved," how could I know for sure?

As with other OCD themes, there is a sense of urgency and a feeling that one needs to do something about it in order to function and to avoid a horrible outcome. But reacting to such urgency keeps the OCD going, such as with rituals like reassurance seeking (which for me is usually like a research project of sorts, typically involving Google). There is also the frustration with having OCD in the first place, which can easily lead to secondary depression/anxiety. So being more accepting of the condition and one's current limitations can help.

Some therapy approaches for OCD are the 4 steps, acceptance and commitment therapy, or metacognitive therapy. All of those approaches are basically a form of cognitive behavior therapy along with mindfulness -- taking self-downing thoughts less seriously and focusing instead on values/action/here-and-now. Similarly:

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 11.45.39 PM.jpg

Besides anxiety (or anxiety sensitivity), another common feature of OCD is guilt (or guilt sensitivity). So working on self-esteem or self-acceptance in therapy helps, even though it may seem like the least of your problems. For example, your fear of eternal suffering may be exacerbated by chronic self-ambivalence ("ambivalence about [one's] self-worth, morality and lovability"), which creates a vacuum for OCD to fill.

If you were raised in a strict/religious household (like I was) where the primary motivator was guilt, then that certainly can underlie what you are dealing with now, including how you relate with others and reality itself. Substitute eternal "suffering" with eternal "punishment" and you may see what I mean. A similar OCD theme is being locked away in prison with no way of ever getting out. I still have the jail/prison theme pop up at times. What makes it worse is engaging with the thoughts. (My husband has bipolar disorder, and I similarly learned the hard way not to "engage" with bipolar-fueled criticisms.)

I also like solution-focused approaches (focusing on what works since "sometimes the solution has nothing to do with the problem"). Like client-centered therapy, solution-focused therapy is very optimistic about human potential. It sees progress as inevitable and happening all the time.

And anything that is good for the brain is good for treating OCD. For example, exercise, music, and SSRIs can all help provide greater cognitive flexibility. Another thing that can help is focusing on relationships. Most people with OCD, anxiety, or depression tend to have insecure relationship patterns, which can increase stress/loneliness. For me, having pets also helps a lot, though initially it was also a source of stress worrying about them.

By far, the most popular organization for OCD is the International OCD Foundation, which also features a listing of group/community resources, including some Zoom-based support groups. I personally like this Zoom group that I used last year:

Last edited:

jhgil26

Thanks a lot. How does that foundation work, through forums or through online therapists?

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
They don't provide individual or group therapy directly but have a directory:

I don't think they have their own online forum either, but they do list online groups at the link above.

They do have their own Youtube channel, Twitter feed, Facebook page, etc., and an annual online conference:

(They also have a Spanish version of their website.)

More info/resources at their website:

By the way, one of my favorite points about OCD was made by David (a former therapist/psychologist):

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

For anyone prone to obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), religion can serve as a trap within a sanctuary.

Almost every anxiety and insecurity I felt as I kid fed into one fear: I was going to hell. Therefore I did everything in my power to prevent that. My bedtime prayers lasted longer than those recited by Benedictine monks; I read the Bible start to finish; I walked to daily Mass; and every Good Friday I spent five hours in the basement praying all the mysteries of the rosary. But it was never enough. Intrusive thoughts stalked me, telling me I was a horrible person.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From one of my favorite threads:

The energy of surrender accomplishes much more than the energy of control.​

I suspect it’s slightly different for everyone, but here’s what control mode looks and feels like for me: My vision gets very narrow and focused, my breath is shallow, adrenaline is pumping and my heart rate increases.

My mind shifts from topic to topic and from past to future very quickly, and I have little concentration, poor memory, and almost no present-moment awareness.

In surrender mode, I’m calm, peaceful. Breathing deeply, present in the moment. I see clearly and my vision extends out around me, allowing me to (literally) see the bigger picture.

So the great irony is that attempting to control things actually feels less in control. When I’m micro-managing and obsessing over details, I know I’m in my own way.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.