More threads by Tempered Tense

Or not.

In light of recent events, out of curiosity, I took an online IQ test: IQTest.com and received a score of 116, supposedly in comparison to every other person who took the same test. And that was fine with me. Then I decided to do some research into how accurate online tests are and stumbled across this forum: IQ, A sign of intellegence? discussion on Kongregate (among others). I was compelled to stay and read the discussion, as it was in reference to the same test I had just taken, and I do find online discussions useful. I probably shouldn't have done that, because the more I read, the more annoyed I became (and worried); because if this is the crowd that my newly revealed IQ score was being compared to, then my feeble 116 would have been more accurately depicted as 86 or 90. You see, everyone in this forum is a genius. They've taken the same test, and their IQ scores range from 145 to 160. There's quite a few of them too. So, unless I had mistakenly stumbled into the Mensa forums, or some other high IQ society (which I hadn't, it appears to be a gaming site), that mean score of 108.4, that standard deviation of 14.889, and that "less than 1 percent of test takers" bit is wrong and disingenuous. Because there are plenty of other people online with professed IQ scores of 140 and above who would like to dispute it. Maybe they ought to band together and demand that IQTest.com post a more honest display of averages and percentiles. Perhaps Mr. 185 can lead them in their mission. Me, I'll just remain in the shadows with my 116, er 86. :(

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I wouldn't worry about it, TT. These online tests, IQ or personality or anything else, should be viewed as games or entertainment only, like those that seem to circulate on Facebook and similar sites. They have no real validity or utility. If they were real IQ tests, they wouldn't be permitted to publish them on the net.

In checking further, I see that they even acknowledge this on the site:

IQTest.com

The test is not intended for professional use. The test is offered for personal entertainment purposes.

Yet they bury that statement on an interior page while the front page and even other paragraphs on the FAQ page all impy that the test is valid. And they have the audacity to CHARGE people money for this "service"?

I'm worried that they do measure something though. And if over half of the internet population is averaging scores within the 140 range, and I am only 116, well then, I have just been significantly humbled.

Andy

MVP
lol TemperedTense, I can tell you that I took one of these tests and got pretty high, and I KNOW I am not in that range at all. Felt good to see that number lol but they are total crap.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
if over half of the internet population is averaging scores within the 140 range

That's a pretty big "if". And even if it were true, it still doesn't tell you that the test is measuring intelligence. It could just as easily be measuring western trivia or something.

I might be able to tell you more if I took the test myself but I'll be darned if I line the site owner's pockets any more than they already have been.

If you are really worried about cognitive decline or anything similar. stop paying good money to sites like that one and save it for real testing with a psychologist.

lol TemperedTense, I can tell you that I took one of these tests and got pretty high, and I KNOW I am not in that range at all. Felt good to see that number lol but they are total crap.

Thank you for the reply STP, but the problem in my case, doesn't seem to be whether they are valid or not anymore. The problem is that, valid or not, if I am getting such a low score in comparison to other genius scores (valid or not), then that is pretty sad, and doesn't make me feel any better. It also means that (valid or not), the site is not giving an honest portrayal of percentages. At this point, saying the test is crap only makes it worse I'm afraid. But thanks for the response in any case.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You're right. It's some sort of "personality test" that requires payment.

So I did take a look at it. This isn't an IQ test... It has nothing to do with intelligence. It's just a series of brain-teasers. Frankly I got bored at about question 20 and just started clicking randomly.

I guess it's just one of those instances where I'm feeling sorry for myself in comparing myself to other test-takers. Even though I know the test is invalid, I still wish I had done a little better. I suppose I'll get over it.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.