More threads by Retired

Retired

How can a child who is terrified of getting a needle or blood test be helped to overcome the fear?

What about adults? Many of us have increased anxiety when requiring some kind of injection. How can adults deal with needles?

Banned

Banned
Become a blood donor :D . Just kidding. I have heard, though, that there is a patch you can put on that numbs the site, so it doesn't hurt as much to get the injection. That's about the best I've heard. Commonly people will say not to look when they put it in, take a deep breath, etc...I'm sure all those are helpful too. I don't know that that will help the fear, but it might lessen the pain.

Last edited:

ThatLady

For children, requesting a pediatric nurse to give the shot, or insert the IV can help a lot. Pediatric nurses are trained to deal with little ones and to help them to deal with their fears. There are also topical medications that can be used to make the needle insertion less painful. Distracting techniques can be very helpful for these patients, and the pediatric nurse is the one trained to use these techniques.

For adults, it's a more difficult situation because the fear is more deep-rooted. Again, there are topical medications that can be used to lessen the discomfort, and self-developed distraction techniques can help a lot, as well. Find out what works for you. Some prefer to look, others prefer to look away. For some patients, if the person using the needle will start by engaging the person in conversation about something of interest to the patient, it can be helpful. It's a matter of trial and error, I think, to see what works for a particular individual.

Similar threads

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%ADch_Nhất_Hạnh His 1975 book The Miracle of Mindfulness was credited with helping to "lay the foundations" for the use of mindfulness in treating depression through "mindfulness-based cognitive therapy", influencing the work of University of Washington psychology professor Marsha M. Linehan, the originator of dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)... One of Nhất Hạnh's students, Jon Kabat-Zinn, developed the mindfulness-based stress reduction course that is...
Replies
Views
“Life isn’t something you can give an answer to today. You should enjoy the process of waiting, the process of becoming what you are. There is nothing more delightful than planting flower seeds and not knowing what kind of flowers are going to come up.” — Milton H. Erickson
Replies
Views
Overcoming Our Fear of Emotional Vulnerability by Dr. Annie Tanasugarn, psychcentral.com Aug 22, 2020 The word "vulnerability" has been labeled as many things in recent years. For example, vulnerability has been expressed as being a necessary part of the human experience. It has been argued as being the driving force behind authentic human connection as well as being coined a necessary ingredient for lasting relationships. Perhaps most notably, Dr. Brené Brown has coined...
Replies
Views
Kratom: Fear-worthy foliage or beneficial botanical? by Peter Grinspoon, MD, Harvard Health Blog August 7, 2019 Depending on what you read, kratom is a dangerous, addictive drug with no medical utility and severe side effects, including overdose and death, or it is an accessible pathway out of undertreated chronic pain and opiate withdrawal. How can the US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), medical professionals, and millions of regular kratom users have such divergent views...
Replies
Views