More threads by boi

boi

So, I am officially on break with my t. I am a little worried about something. Right now, and the past month I have been feeling great. I have been so productive and generally good. According to another psychiatrist, because I have a mood disorder this will eventually come to an end. I will feel unwell again. It hasnt happened yet. Anyway, I am going to do intensive CBT for a while. I think this is only temporary(maybe a few months). Then I will be on my own. What happens if I need another T or psychiatrist. Should I ask the dr. that will be doing the cbt with me about that? I know I can always go back to my old T but I really think I need something new.

Banned

Banned
Re: finished with therapist

Hi boi,

One of the dangers with mood disorders is that we tend to make big decisions when we're feeling good, forgetting that we do in fact have a disorder so chances are we won't always feel like we do when we're feeling good.

I'm not sure what part of the world you live in, and accessibility to various mental health providers will vary depending, but you could always ask your doctor for a referral to someone else if you do not feel like your old therapist will be a good fit for you. If you're comfortable, you can also ask your old therapist if s/he knows of someone. Your therapist won't be offended - they truly want the best for us and that's how I changed therapists. I told my T that I wanted to move on and since he'd been working with me for a couple years and knew me, could he recommend someone, and he did. I've been with her for three years now.

Is the Doctor that's doing the CBT a trained mental health professional (ie PhD level psychologist or psychiatrist?).

boi

Re: finished with therapist

hey Turtle,
Im in Canada and I can ask my dr for a referal again....the Cbt will be done by a psychiatrist. I dont know if I want to ask my old T for a referal. but thanks for the suggestion. I was just reading an article about hypomania and the signs. Because I feel good I just feel like this is the old me. Doing stuff, and trying to be social, making plans etc....I painted quite a few paintings and it was the most I'd done in ages and this is how I like me. I dont think it's a "bad" thing. I just kinda worry that maybe Ill get depressed again. I personally dont think I will but the psychiatrist thinks I will. I guess Ill see how it goes and enjoy this as long as possible. Im even exercising 3 times a week. I have to add I also like the fact that I am sharper again. I have opinions (strong ones hehehe) and I feel like I can express them. Before it was like things were not important anymore. The injustices of the world didnt matter. Now they do and I like that about myself.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.