More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Some guidance on when to keep sick kids at home
by Dr. Marla Shapiro, CTV News
October 20, 2009

It is indeed a different flu season. In my own office in Ontario we seem to handle dozens of confused callers who ask about what we are doing with the shots.

In my office, people over 65 are getting the seasonal shot now. They all ask if they can get H1N1. The answer is that many in this age group have existing cross-immunity from exposure to a virus in the 1950s. However, as I cannot guarantee that immunity exists, theoretically, the answer about whether to get the H1N1 vaccine should be: you can get it if you would like.

When H1N1 arrives, the under-65 age group is at risk in a greater way. Certainly, pregnant women and the young have been identified as high-risk groups and will be targeted first. Which vaccine? The one with adjuvant for most is expected to arrive first. The vaccine without the immune-boosting adjuvant will arrive at a later date and is best for pregnant women and the very young.

Patients call and want to know about symptoms and when to stay home. I have taken from the Public Health Agency of Canada website what I consider to be among the critical information for parents.

• The incubation period for pandemic (H1N1) influenza virus is understood to be up to four days
  • Period of communicability up to seven days from onset of symptoms in uncomplicated cases. This may be longer (up to 10 days) in individuals with severe illness and children in whom symptoms and virus shedding may persist.
  • Students/staff/children who become ill at home with ILI should stay at home until they are symptom free and are feeling well and able to fully participate in all normal day to day school activities (e.g., intra/extramural activities and school trips).
  • Consistent with seasonal flu, transmission of the pandemic (H1N1) influenza virus is most likely during the initial days of infection when the individual is symptomatic and has a high viral load.
  • Children and staff should be excluded from child care settings if they are exhibiting symptoms of ILI and only return once they are symptom free and able to fully participate in daily programs.
  • In settings where a large proportion of children have underlying illness that puts them at risk for severe illness or complications from the pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza virus, consideration should be given to having symptomatic children remain in isolation for 7 days after symptom onset or until all symptoms have resolved, whichever is longer.
  • Given the potential for more severe illness or complications from influenza infection, schools and child care centres should inform parents/guardians about the need for rapid medical assessment of high risk children.
Remember that if you are sick, it?s best to stay home and avoid spreading your illness. Seek medical attention should your symptoms render you short of breath, or if you become increasingly ill, disoriented or confused.

In children, increasing difficulty breathing and change in orientation and level of alertness are always a concern.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.